ELD VT 174 grain

Gstew1930

FNG
Classified Approved
Anyone else find this release strange? Every other bullet released in this line is lighter for caliber. This seems more like a great deer bullet. I’ve never seen a 174 grain bullet advertised for varmints

Anyone else find this release strange? Every other bullet released in this line is lighter for caliber. This seems more like a great deer bullet. I’ve never seen a 174 grain bullet advertised for varmints
I believe the VT stands for varmint/target. I was thinking 308 win target bullet?

OP
G

Gstew1930

FNG
Classified Approved
I believe the VT stands for varmint/target. I was thinking 308 win target bullet?
Yeah I think so. They already have a target bullet in this weight. So why make a 174 grain varmint bullet. I was just saying looking at the construction it looks like it would make a great deer bullet. Just a guess though

I haven't looked into this weight class of bullets. I would assume the BC on the new 308 VT is higher just like on the 224 and 243 VT bullet compared to like weights. So even if they already make target bullets in the same weight class, this bullet might have a lot better BC.

With the giant nose cavity on the VT line, I'm guessing you wouldn't want to have a high impact velocity on big game. Just a guess. Could definitely be wrong and they might work well on big game at high velocities.

letrbuck

WKR
It follows the VT build profile, but Hornady isn't touting it as a varmint bullet. It's basically the 208 ELDM shell with less lead. So high BC, higher velocity for that BC number, and less recoil. Be interesting to see terminal results on tissue, but should be a hell of a target/match bullet

OP
G

Gstew1930

FNG
Classified Approved
It follows the VT build profile, but Hornady isn't touting it as a varmint bullet. It's basically the 208 ELDM shell with less lead. So high BC, higher velocity for that BC number, and less recoil. Be interesting to see terminal results on tissue, but should be a hell of a target/match bullet
That makes alot of sense. i may shoot something with it next year to test it

Vintovka

FNG
Made a video on the 174 ELD-VT .30 cal, haven't shot them yet buts its very useful info.