Elk Of North America : Ecology And Management

I bought the book last year for a song and it is very thorough. It is chock full of information, but I honestly can't say it was super helpful-- I feel like a lot of it I was aware of (what they eat at certain times of the year, etc.) or was PhD level stuff over my head and not super helpful when it comes to hunting. If you're able to get it and read it (it's dry, but again, thorough) that's great-- but don't worry that there's some secret manual in Chapter 17 about how to hammer elk in the second week of September in there.

It was mentioned on the recent Elk Talk podcast and, if I recall correctly, the publisher has no intention of a future print though a digital version may be in the cards.
Yup they said maybe come to digital and Newberg has hinted at the idea of trying to acquire the rights to it and start printing it again not sure what that entails or if it’s possible.

Amazing what some of the old hunting books sell for, even paperbacks. Couple I’m glad I hung on to are Gene Wenzel’s “Bowhunting Rutting Whitetails”, and Roger Rothhar’s “In pursuit of Trophy Whitetails”

Anyone have a source for the infamous Elk Of North America : Ecology And Management book by Thomas and Toweill? The wildlife institute website is sold out, with no plans to print more. Amazon/Ebay has them for several hundred dollars, but I think I can eventually find one sitting unused under someone's coffee table much cheaper than that.
I have both the 1982 and 2002 versions I use for work. I used to lend them out, but not anymore since they have inexplicably become a valuable commodity. They contain loads of good info, but for the nonprofessional it may be cumbersome to unpack as it is written more like a text book than a field guide. Additionally, there’s been quite a bit of groundbreaking elk research published to date from when even the 2002 version was published that has really changed our current understanding of elk and elk ecology. In my opinion, unless you would need it for work or school, it won’t be the one stop shop you’re hoping for given its current price tag.

I have both the 1982 and 2002 versions I use for work. I used to lend them out, but not anymore since they have inexplicably become a valuable commodity. They contain loads of good info, but for the nonprofessional it may be cumbersome to unpack as it is written more like a text book than a field guide. Additionally, there’s been quite a bit of groundbreaking elk research published to date from when even the 2002 version was published that has really changed our current understanding of elk and elk ecology. In my opinion, unless you would need it for work or school, it won’t be the one stop shop you’re hoping for given its current price tag.
I appreciate that info. I'm interested in one if I find it cheap, but not looking to spend a couple hundred on it. I'm definitely no biologist, but I do have some level of biology background that I hope will be somewhat helpful in understanding. With the more recent research, is there a similar resource you would recommend? Thanks!

I appreciate that info. I'm interested in one if I find it cheap, but not looking to spend a couple hundred on it. I'm definitely no biologist, but I do have some level of biology background that I hope will be somewhat helpful in understanding. With the more recent research, is there a similar resource you would recommend? Thanks!
Pm sent

I was lucky enough to get a copy from my girlfriend as a gift.. After checking all the local bookstores seems like this is a rare used commodity. You almost need to just pop into used/thrift stores all out west and see if they have it for cheap.

@MTSasquatch I'd take any resources you'd recommend as well if you don't mind. Any recommendations for Roosies?

I was lucky enough to get a copy from my girlfriend as a gift.. After checking all the local bookstores seems like this is a rare used commodity. You almost need to just pop into used/thrift stores all out west and see if they have it for cheap.

@MTSasquatch I'd take any resources you'd recommend as well if you don't mind. Any recommendations for Roosies?
Most of the science and literature I’m familiar with are primarily focused on Rocky Mountain elk. Although I would suspect there will be overlaps in behavior between the two subspecies associated with human disturbances that would be useful to a hunter. Some of the habitat information may not correlate very well if at all given the significant differences in ecosystem types and available resources between the PNW/ coastal area and Rocky Mountains.

Back