Enclosed trailer build/condensation

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
Question to the guys that have done a buildout before: I have a 20’ enclosed trailer that I’m looking to add a diesel heater to, wondering if it makes sense to insulate the whole dang thing if all I have to do is bring an extra gallon or two of diesel on weekend trips? Would save tons of time and money to skip the insulation 🤷🏻‍♂️
From my experience you will want to because it sounds like you are in a snare drum when it rains if you don’t.

Spray foam the whole thing. Did this with my work trailer. They lifted it with a forklift and sprayed the whole bottom. I heat it often for work and don’t have any condensation problems. If you can take it to a job someone is spraying it should save you some money. Make a cash deal with em.

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
Spray foam the whole thing. Did this with my work trailer. They lifted it with a forklift and sprayed the whole bottom. I heat it often for work and don’t have any condensation problems. If you can take it to a job someone is spraying it should save you some money. Make a cash deal with em.
Dang that’s a good idea, will definitely be on the lookout now!

We have a small aluminum frame 12X7 cargo trailer camper conversion that me and my son built. Every once in a while we will get some some minor condensation on metal surfaces, screw heads as some else mentioned. The key is ventilation. As some else pointed out, we exhale quite a bit of moisture every night when we sleep, boil water for coffee or cooking, etc. We have top and sides insulated with rigid foam with the reflective finish on one side. Just never got around to doing the floor yet. We have a small solar panel, AGM deep cycle battery. Everything runs off of 12 volt, but its a small load.

We have the Camco Olympian Wave-3 Catalytic Heater installed in our camper. We never sleep with the heater on. Run it in the morning when we get up, coffee, etc, turn it off. Turn it on when we get back after a days hunt and run it until ready to go to bed. Make sure all the vents/windows are cracked open. Min condensatation. We have good below zero degree sleeping bags to keep us warm at night. Turn the heater on in the AM and camper warms up by the time coffee is ready.

We have a smoke detector, CO detector and LP gas detector (in case of gas leak) mounted at various levels.

Way better than our old tent camping days.

aDivc58m.jpg

iW4rWBLm.jpg

Last edited:

rayporter

WKR
the wave heaters are fantastic and often overlooked. my folks had a 9 K one in the airstream and heated the 30ft trailer with it, they ran it 24-7 in winter.