Everyone’s training leading up to fall.

Tegr0429

Lil-Rokslider
How’s everyone’s training looking for the fall? Currently I’m just adding in more GPP and runs in with my powerlifting split I run year round. Trying to up my cardio for a mule deer trip in August.

*zap*

WKR
best way to increase your aerobic capacity is daily low intensity cardio done at conversation pace and 3x per month high intensity cardio. I would walk with a pack of you can keep your heart rate at/below conversation pace doing that.

ymmv

OP
Tegr0429

Tegr0429

Lil-Rokslider
best way to increase your aerobic capacity is daily low intensity cardio done at conversation pace and 3x per month high intensity cardio. I would walk with a pack of you can keep your heart rate at/below conversation pace doing that.

ymmv
I’ve been adding in some rucks in this south GA heat for some added GPP work.

bozeman

WKR
I didnt draw a tag this year due to a fishing trip this fall, but I am still following my annual training plan. As @*zap* stated....the LISS concept helps build that capacity, add in some days of sprints about once/week and it has helped me prepare tremendously since I am coming from Alabama.....I still use weights 3x/week but have added in more LISS with weighted packs!

OP
Tegr0429

Tegr0429

Lil-Rokslider
I didnt draw a tag this year due to a fishing trip this fall, but I am still following my annual training plan. As @*zap* stated....the LISS concept helps build that capacity, add in some days of sprints about once/week and it has helped me prepare tremendously since I am coming from Alabama.....I still use weights 3x/week but have added in more LISS with weighted packs!
How far are you rucking typically? We’re coming from similar elevations. Coming from 300 feet to 10k+ is always rough.

bozeman

WKR
I use the high school bleachers, so don’t use distance, I use time…..will build up to 2 hours by early Aug and start tapering 3 weeks before I leave……

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
I do some form of relatively low intensity cardio almost every day. I follow Wendlers 5/3/1 for my strength training pretty much year round. It seems to be a good combination for me.

OP
Tegr0429

Tegr0429

Lil-Rokslider
I do some form of relatively low intensity cardio almost every day. I follow Wendlers 5/3/1 for my strength training pretty much year round. It seems to be a good combination for me.
5/3/1 is solid

D

Deleted member 8-15-23

Depends on your age. Almost 65. Will draw a 6k bow mulie tag for sure and maybe a 14k sheep hunt. So walking 4 miles with weights, losing 1 lb./ week. Will step up to 6_10 mile hikes in My canyon 6 weeks prior.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

This is pretty much my routine year round as well; usually averaging 30-35 miles/week on single track trails. Lifting twice a week (I combine squats & bench on one day, deadlifts & overhead press the other). I usually get in one multi-day backpack adventure a month (I'm retired! :ROFLMAO:) that bumps my mileage up- also typically in rough country/lots of climbing and typically long/high mile days.

About 8 weeks out from season, I start rucking weight 3/week (still hike w/o a pack the other days) starting at 30# and slowly building to 60# (the actual weight is closer to +10 lbs with the pack, water, jacket, etc). Two weeks out I pull the weight back to 30# (don't want an injury on go day :D).

I've been following this routine for a decade (maybe a little longer) and don't plan on changing anything anytime soon.

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
I am working on increasing intensity in some workouts, length in others. I don't think @*zap* is wrong, but he is only talking about a piece of the puzzle. One thing people forget about when building aerobic capacity is length of exercise. You won't get anything noticeable from a short daily walk, you need long slow distance. Like 90+ minutes at a moderate/conversational pace, so you're depleting the glycogen stores etc. Ideally mixed with some HIIT training and weight training as well, because realistically, a balanced training plan (combined with a good diet) is the key, not focusing on one end of the exercise spectrum or the other. So I'm just trying to maintain a balance of running long and slow some days, hard and fast others, calisthenics and weight training, and rucking. Also trying my best to find elevation changes and uneven ground to strengthen the accessory/stability muscles in ways that pounding out miles on the pavement/dreadmill doesn't.

*zap*

WKR
Thanks for pointing that out.^

they say a minimum of 4 hours a week of liss in 4-5 sessions. Personally, I think fasted is the best way to do your liss if you can manage that but after 45 minutes or so you should stop and eat something.

frequent, long duration is ideal. I believe the whole point is to incrementally work your way up to longer durations of liss which will not be debilitating to your body thus you can accomplish more....that requires an investment of many months, not 6 weeks to mountain tough.