Extreme nock high Issue solved

Gregbaker0341

FNG
Classified Approved
Got a new Palmer classic in the mail about a month and a half ago. My second Palmer, this one I had built 60" instead of 58" and had the grip more of a lower wrist style. The thing was fast and smooth. The problem was tuning out the extreme nock high seemed an impossibility. I thought it was me, my release, the tiller, my arrow spine, the grip style, bow hand etc. I had all but given up on the bow and was very disappointed. Until I got a new custom string in the mail. A simple string swap from the stock string proved to be all that was needed. Immediate perfect flat nock travel and quiet as can be. This is just a tip for anyone struggling with getting a good tune. It might not be you after all.

This is a good tip. I have also found extreme tuning differences with different strings. With that said, my findings have shown its more related to silencer material and location.

Infact, I often use different silencer materials or placement to get a tune dialed in. It can make a bigger difference than you would guess.

Kentucky

WKR
9/10, with every new setup I get or put together… which is prolly once every 6 weeks (slight addiction)… I make a new d97 string for it before I even start…

Nothing worse than going crazy, failing to do something you’ve done many, many times before…

Beendare

WKR
It might be just in my mind…but it seems to me every bow I own tunes easier since I switched from D97 and BCYX to 652.

Better sound too.

Kentucky

WKR
It might be just in my mind…but it seems to me every bow I own tunes easier since I switched from D97 and BCYX to 652.

Better sound too.
652 sounds better than the d97? I had a few 452 I think? And some X99… the X99 where loud from what I remember, but noticeably faster… but I was way less experienced than I am now… maybe I should give it a go!!

Kentucky

WKR

Better sound too.
652 sounds better than the d97? I had a few 452 I think? And some X99… the X99 where loud from what I remember, but noticeably faster… but I was way less experienced than I am now… maybe I should give it a go!!

How many strands are you using of 652?

Beendare

WKR
I use 14 strands of 652, endless loop, then beef up the ends with 4 extra strands at loops and typically back the serving with 2 extra strands plus the serving under so my noks fit. I only wrap the serving once ( some use an under wrap) …and the size sticker fell off my serving spool years ago, I think its .30.

The coach of the USA archery team I met on ahunt in AZ told me most olympians and the Korean team uses 652

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
Really interesting information. I got rid of a nice Javaman bow because I couldn't fix this problem. It had a D-97 string - which I generally like. My need to play a bit with 652! thanks for the post.

Beendare

WKR
Really interesting information. I got rid of a nice Javaman bow because I couldn't fix this problem. It had a D-97 string - which I generally like. My need to play a bit with 652! thanks for the post.
Fwiw, I don’t think the difference between D97 and 652 is worlds apart…nor will it change drastic tuning issues.

Its hard to describe the difference…652 feels less harsh…..it has a different twang and a tiny difference in after shot feel.
I have not chrono’d the 2 side by side- doesn’t seem like much difference

Kentucky

WKR
I made a 12 strand x99 with padded loops the other day… thunderhorn heartstopper longbow, 53@28, 550g arrow… noticeable twang after shot…not super loud but twangy… made a 14 strand d97, arrows showed a touch stiffer, but man was the bow well mannered, quite, less vibration… I don’t have and 652…