Fairbanks to Dawson Drive best layover point

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be going to Dawson City via Fairbanks and looking for suggestions or pros and cons on where to layover. Since I’ll probably be arriving in Fairbanks in early afternoon, the outfitter thought it may be a good idea to get a few hours of driving time under my belt after I arrive in Fairbanks Rather than overnighting in Fairbanks. He suggested Tok or Chicken depending on how far I want to drive. This will be first week of September if that matters. Looking for suggestions

VernAK

WKR
I suspect you are thinking about next summer or early fall. If so, Tok would be 200 miles and I'd rent a cabin at Fast Eddies . The food is good also! I usually get the cabin versus the motel so a tour bus load of turons can't keep me awake. Good luck on your hunt! Gas up in Tok also.

OP
M

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
I suspect you are thinking about next summer or early fall. If so, Tok would be 200 miles and I'd rent a cabin at Fast Eddies . The food is good also! I usually get the cabin versus the motel so a tour bus load of turons can't keep me awake. Good luck on your hunt! Gas up in Tok also.
Yes, the hunt is August 30th to September 10th. When I looked at a satellite map of the TOK area I saw Fast Eddies, and TOK in general appeared to be a larger town with more amenities. The only advantage to Chicken is it would get me farther along to my destination and fairly close to the border. Thanks for your input, much appreciated

Gavin

FNG
A few years ago the wife and I stayed at the Chicken Gold Camp cabins. They were comfy and from what I recall reasonable, its pretty quick trip over the top of the world highway to Dawson. You'll like that drive. That time of year is still pretty touristy so you may want to call ahead to reserve a cabin. We didn't have any problems finding a place to eat either.

OP
M

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
A few years ago the wife and I stayed at the Chicken Gold Camp cabins. They were comfy and from what I recall reasonable, its pretty quick trip over the top of the world highway to Dawson. You'll like that drive. That time of year is still pretty touristy so you may want to call ahead to reserve a cabin. We didn't have any problems finding a place to eat either.
Thanks for the lead, I’ll have to check into this as I get my travel dates confirmed

AKBorn

WKR
What Vern says above! I'll only add that Fast Eddie's is the name of the restaurant, Young's Motel is the business name that rents the cabins and motel rooms. They are one and the same place, just different names for the restaurant and motel/cabin services.

Tok has motels, a couple of restaurants, a grocery store, a sporting goods store, and a few options for gas and snacks. Always enjoy staying there. Make reservations ahead of time, it will be busy that time of year.

OP
M

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
What Vern says above! I'll only add that Fast Eddie's is the name of the restaurant, Young's Motel is the business name that rents the cabins and motel rooms. They are one and the same place, just different names for the restaurant and motel/cabin services.

Tok has motels, a couple of restaurants, a grocery store, a sporting goods store, and a few options for gas and snacks. Always enjoy staying there. Make reservations ahead of time, it will be busy that time of year.
Thanks, all of this is good info. Knowing the Motel name will be good when I finally do my bookings and can look for them on Expedia. So far flights don’t look too bad and surprised to find an F150 is the cheapest “car” rental. Just need to finalize exact travel dates and I’ll be locking in.