Fall Black Bear

My nephew and I are wanting to do a Black Bear hunt this fall. We were thinking Maine, and would love to know where you might recommend. We are also open to other areas you have hunted with success.

Thanks,

David S.

David not sure where you are from. I'm going to suggest the opposite end of the US for a fall bear hunt though. 10ish years ago I researched black bears in the lower 48 and I believe Washington had the highest density. I have personally glassed up over a dozen bears from 1 knob with zero being a sow with cubs.

You can shoot 2 bears there and there are a lot of different colors depending on where in the state you hunt.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
David not sure where you are from. I'm going to suggest the opposite end of the US for a fall bear hunt though. 10ish years ago I researched black bears in the lower 48 and I believe Washington had the highest density. I have personally glassed up over a dozen bears from 1 knob with zero being a sow with cubs.

You can shoot 2 bears there and there are a lot of different colors depending on where in the state you hunt.
Washington hunters would love for you to come and help with the predator problem, especially after spring bear season was canceled indefinitely starting in 2022. We see bears all the time in eastern Washington and north Idaho. Last summer and fall was the most I’ve ever seen.

duckhuntr

FNG
Washington hunters would love for you to come and help with the predator problem, especially after spring bear season was canceled indefinitely starting in 2022. We see bears all the time in eastern Washington and north Idaho. Last summer and fall was the most I’ve ever seen.
I'm a Washington Resident, not looking for honey holes, but going to give fall bear a try this year on the east side. . . I know some areas pretty well from turkey hunting, but not exactly sure where to start in terms of looking in the heat of August. Should I focus more on low lying cooler creek bottoms, find the huckleberries, will they even be out in daylight when its pushing 90+ in the evenings? Any help appreciated. I'll honestly likely start with a bow, but might quickly transition to gun.

I'm a Washington Resident, not looking for honey holes, but going to give fall bear a try this year on the east side. . . I know some areas pretty well from turkey hunting, but not exactly sure where to start in terms of looking in the heat of August. Should I focus more on low lying cooler creek bottoms, find the huckleberries, will they even be out in daylight when its pushing 90+ in the evenings? Any help appreciated. I'll honestly likely start with a bow, but might quickly transition to gun.
I can't speak for WA but in SW Oregon I rarely see bears in the heat of the day. When I do it's on creek bottoms where I probably bumped them. The later in the season the more active they become. I tend to see them feeding closer to sundown vs in the morning when its hot. Not sure why.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Find the huckleberries and you’ll find the bears. We mostly see them in the mornings and early afternoon, but I’ve seen them in shady areas in the afternoon still eating berries. Good luck!

Rogue Bay

WKR
If you’re on a good food source mornings can still be productive. I’ve shot a lot of bears in the first week and a half of August. Most have been in the evenings but I also put more effort in during the evenings. I also saw more bears during the evenings but wouldn’t rule mornings out.

Where I used hunt bears they keyed in on blackcap raspberries early, usually in younger logging units. After the first week or so of season the blackcaps would be dried up and the bears turned to chokecherries and/or huckleberries. Around mid-October they hit the acorns hard.

Where I live now I see a good number of bears early in the season feeding on blackberries down low in the drainages, but have also seen them higher feeding on manzanita berries, again usually in older logging units or burn scars.

David - do you know what kind of hunt you guys are wanting to do? Bait, hound hunt, spot and stalk? That might dictate where you can or should hunt. I don’t have any firsthand experience with bear hunting anywhere except Oregon and Montana so I’m afraid I won’t be much help unless you’re looking to hunt out west. Please let us know what you decide!

Just tagging onto this thread instead of making a new one:

Anyone have experience fall black bear hunting in the southern/eastern states?
(Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Maine)

Any success or advice?

Just tagging onto this thread instead of making a new one:

Anyone have experience fall black bear hunting in the southern/eastern states?
(Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Maine)

Any success or advice?
I’ve hunted Oklahoma a little with my bow. You can’t bait on public land and it’s too thick for a true spot and stalk. The way I’ve done it starts as a still hunt trying to find good patches of oaks producing good acorns then look for sign. If you find a spot with a good amount of fresh sign then it’s probably a good idea to sit it for a day or two. Hauling a saddle or light hang on around with you is a good idea. It’s a tough tough hunt