favorite antelope shoulder mount form?

What form do you think looks the best for antelope? If I am lucky enough to get one, I am still waffling between euro mount or shoulder mount.

hobbes

WKR
Antelope have never done a lot for me as a shoulder mount but there are exceptions, a really big buck or a once in a lifetime antelope hunt would be exceptions. Shoulder mount preferences are going to be all up to the individual. If I were going with an antelope mount I'd want the head up high. I'd also think about where it's going so the turn had it facing into the room and not into a nearby wall.

I'd go with an upright sweep:

Or probably my favorite would be a wall pedestal:

MTClacka

FNG
I'm a big fan of wall pedestal forms for antelope. I have a couple and have mounted several, and it is always what I recommend. Look at the Mckenzie forms, and also Dave Ferguson's wall pedestal forms for a bit more turn and dimension.

TaperPin

WKR
I really like the unique color of antelope - get a mount shape that complements the space it’s going into.

When done well, a mount should look lifelike and the contrasting colors around the eyes, lips, etc make it even more important to get right. By looking at a number of antelope mounts the differences in taxidermist ability really pop out.

A euro mount also looks really nice because of the black on white. Down the road you can always buy a cape and have the shoulder mount.

Rich M

WKR
I like the look of a live antelope. Shoulder mounts, not so much. Thinking to get a euro.

Scottf270

WKR
I have 7 antelope mounts. My favorite is the wall pedestal. Shows the antelope and it's colors much better than a normal wall mount.

As a lot of antelope horns look similar, I will only ever mount another if it's a truly exceptional buck. I actually had my taxidermist carefully remove the horns off a mount and put my 2021 bucks horns on the mount as it was bigger. He then put the old horns on the new skull as a euro. Saved me a ton of money and room and still honored both animals.

I do like euros on antelope. But I prefer truly large or unique horns on a mount.

Last edited:
This is a McKenzie form I used when I mounted my antelope. Make sure you take enough hide if you want a wall pedestal.

Attachments

• 20230924_203811.jpg
    20230924_203811.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 32

Jaker_cc

WKR
I like this floor pedestal I had done

802af41c65dfa52c6daec60c499d4dc2.jpg

I’m with everyone else about wall pedestals. I have my first antelope as a wall pedestal. My wife liked it so much she got one of her first antelope as well.