Fierce Reaper or mtn Reaper

FLman

FNG
I’m considering ordering the Fierce MTN Reaper but there isn’t much that I can find as far as reviews. Does anyone here have experience with either the Reaper or MTN Reaper? How’s it shoot, does the stock adjust, and how long did you have to wait for the rifle?

JRO

FNG
Neither of them , stay away from Fierce. Way too many issues with Quality Control and communicating with them after having a problem with their gun is near impossible. I've been dealing with a failed gun for over a year and If you ask me I'm over Fierce, just save yourself some trouble. Good luck.

I have a Fierce Reaper in 6.5 PRC. When I got the gun it would stick spent shells in the chamber, so I had to send it back. After they sent it back it still shows signs of pressure (heavy bolt lift and ejector marks on the case) when I run my TBAC 7” Gen 2 suppressor. However I haven’t had it stick a shell in the chamber since. It does shoot around .75 MOA so that’s pretty sweet, but I still have a compromised platform. Their customer service is so bad I can’t bring myself to ship it back again.

As for the stock adjustment, the cheek piece doesn’t get high enough to accommodate my cheek weld with the 20 MOA rings I’m using. I had to glue on a Mickey Mouse rubber piece to get enough cheek weld.

I also have a CT Edge in 300WM that won’t shoot better than 2 MOA. Given all this I can’t recommend spending the money on a fierce.

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
Just bought a new MTN Reaper but haven’t had it out to test yet. Overall fit/finish looks sharp-my buddy had a CA Carbon MPR…said he felt the Fierce had much better attention to detail: folding stock was nicer, much lighter weight, bolt angle/smoothness in cycling out of the box was significantly better (CA bolt felt rough-was sticky/jittered if not pushed forward just right; it was accurate though)…said he never would’ve sold the MPR if it felt like the Fierce (assuming shooting performance matches initial first impressions out of the box). Weighs in at 6.2lbs: 22” 6.5 PRC. Still need to mount an optic and get it out to test performance. Never had an issue with my other Fierce rifles-not expecting any with this one.
IMG_8273.jpeg

GPG40

FNG
Looking for your opinion Emaz. I just went to pick up a 7mm prc MTN reaper and was a little surprised by some marks and the carbon fiber seam. I'm not sure if this is typical or not and was wondering what your experience was after having this for a while and putting some rounds through it.
There were also some scratches along where the bolt enters the action kind of like someone jarred the bolt when inserting it to the point where its down to the bare metal, and the carbon seam on top of the rail was pretty rough, almost kind of misaligned. (See images). Doubtful it would affect performance at all, but it may cause some early wear or potentially be weakened at the carbon seam...

Attachments

• Clipped_image_20231129_195632.png
    Clipped_image_20231129_195632.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • Clipped_image_20231129_195807.png
    Clipped_image_20231129_195807.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 25

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for your opinion Emaz. I just went to pick up a 7mm prc MTN reaper and was a little surprised by some marks and the carbon fiber seam. I'm not sure if this is typical or not and was wondering what your experience was after having this for a while and putting some rounds through it.
There were also some scratches along where the bolt enters the action kind of like someone jarred the bolt when inserting it to the point where its down to the bare metal, and the carbon seam on top of the rail was pretty rough, almost kind of misaligned. (See images). Doubtful it would affect performance at all, but it may cause some early wear or potentially be weakened at the carbon seam...
I haven’t had a chance to take it out yet this year-been busy with other hunts (archery, junior rifle hunts for elk and deer for my son so range time for him shooting a tikka). I just finally got a scope mounted this past weekend and plan to take it out shortly…as far as the finish items you mentioned, mine does have a seam along the top of the handguard (see pics) not quite as pronounced maybe as yours where it meets the action, but I wouldn’t be concerned as it’s a free floated part. And not where you’d attach anything (I.E. bipod) on the underside. You could potentially contact Fierce to see if they’d swap out the handguard as well as a QC item (I get it from a finish standpoint on a $3k firearm).
As far as the nicks in the metal finish, I agree that it looks like someone hit the bolt trying to insert it into the action; purely cosmetic. It is a magnesium action, so I wouldn’t be worried with rust or it causing any long term wear issue with the overall finish…you could likely touch that up with some Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black, but it really won’t be noticeable, as is, with the bolt in and a scope mounted anyway. My bolt runs very smoothly in test cycling (especially for a Ti bolt).

From a comparison standpoint, it is every bit as nice as if you went a similar route in building an XLR Element 4.0 with a tikka action & carbon barrel. (I plan to test the two side by side at the range soon). The Fierce comes in about 6oz lighter too (I believe due to using carbon fiber handguard versus the extended magnesium chassis)

Attachments

• IMG_8855.jpeg
    IMG_8855.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8856.jpeg
    IMG_8856.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8857.jpeg
    IMG_8857.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8821.jpeg
    IMG_8821.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 13

GPG40

FNG
I haven’t had a chance to take it out yet this year-been busy with other hunts (archery, junior rifle hunts for elk and deer for my son so range time for him shooting a tikka). I just finally got a scope mounted this past weekend and plan to take it out shortly…as far as the finish items you mentioned, mine does have a seam along the top of the handguard (see pics) not quite as pronounced maybe as yours where it meets the action, but I wouldn’t be concerned as it’s a free floated part. And not where you’d attach anything (I.E. bipod) on the underside. You could potentially contact Fierce to see if they’d swap out the handguard as well as a QC item (I get it from a finish standpoint on a $3k firearm).
As far as the nicks in the metal finish, I agree that it looks like someone hit the bolt trying to insert it into the action; purely cosmetic. It is a magnesium action, so I wouldn’t be worried with rust or it causing any long term wear issue with the overall finish…you could likely touch that up with some Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black, but it really won’t be noticeable, as is, with the bolt in and a scope mounted anyway. My bolt runs very smoothly in test cycling (especially for a Ti bolt).

From a comparison standpoint, it is every bit as nice as if you went a similar route in building an XLR Element 4.0 with a tikka action & carbon barrel. (I plan to test the two side by side at the range soon). The Fierce comes in about 6oz lighter too (I believe due to using carbon fiber handguard versus the extended magnesium chassis)
Thanks for the great follow up and info. I did reach out to fierce and they pretty much said the exact same thing you said including an offer to send me a new hand guard and "care kit". I'm not sure what's in the kit, but probably paint. They believe the mark was due to normal wear during the fitting process, but the bolt doesn't touch that front part of the action, so I'm sure it happened in the factory or en-route on delivery. I was looking at building a very similar rifle with the XLR element and carbon barrel (similar to Marks from exo MTN gear, if you're familiar with him and the company). Seems like that build would be about $1K or more in total cost. Does that sound right?
Curious what you would do in this situation. Would you send it back for repair, re-order, or take them up on the new guard and paint?
Keep me updated on which performs better when you get out shooting! Thanks again for your thoughts.

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the great follow up and info. I did reach out to fierce and they pretty much said the exact same thing you said including an offer to send me a new hand guard and "care kit". I'm not sure what's in the kit, but probably paint. They believe the mark was due to normal wear during the fitting process, but the bolt doesn't touch that front part of the action, so I'm sure it happened in the factory or en-route on delivery. I was looking at building a very similar rifle with the XLR element and carbon barrel (similar to Marks from exo MTN gear, if you're familiar with him and the company). Seems like that build would be about $1K or more in total cost. Does that sound right?
Curious what you would do in this situation. Would you send it back for repair, re-order, or take them up on the new guard and paint?
Keep me updated on which performs better when you get out shooting! Thanks again for your thoughts.
I’d personally just take them up on the new guard and paint…it would be simple enough to swap the handguard on your own and dab a cotton swab/toothpick to touch up those spots; not sure I’d want to hassle sending an entire rifle in and wait on a swap/repair for the minor cosmetic concern. If the main action were marred/scratched on a side profile where it would always be visible/noticeable to me, I’d send it back.

As far as the XLR build…I’m in it for around $3250 rifle only:

$1350: XLR SA tikka chassis with carbon components and folding stock adapter (configurable options when ordering)-they pop up on occasion for sale on here in the classifieds too.
$700: New tikka t3x lite in 300wsm because I wanted to build a 6.5prc so needed a magnum bolt (basic tikka with blued barrel). w/tax, shipping, FFL fees in that cost (I like tikka actions, and seemed more cost effective than building off a defiance or other action)
$700: Carbon barrel (I used a Carbonsix 21”tikka 6.5prc prefit)
$425: Assembly with extras (LRI quoted $100 to do the barrel swap for me)…ended up having axisworksaz quote the same—they are local to me so I didn’t have to send it out…axisworksaz also cerakoted the barrel ends, stamped/etched the caliber/cartridge on the barrel, checked head spacing, installed YoDave trigger spring, and did a custom Ti brake turned down to barrel profile and timed: $100 barrel swap; $200 brake; $100 for cerakote and etching; $25 for trigger spring and assembling all in the chassis for me).
$60 for a .300wsm/6.5PRC Accurate Mag (AICS).
…essentially the same as the Mtn reaper; just with a lot more effort on my end. I’ll keep you posted-should be interesting comparison since both are 6.5prc and close enough in build specs (fierce is a 22” barrel)