finally tired of my Oregon Pack Works pack in need of somethin new

Derek0525

WKR
Well I like how versatile the OPW is but I'm getting tired of the waist belt straps not tightening up and slipping and bunching up when I put weight on the pack. Hiked with it today and one side wouldn't even tighten up at all. Two other people I know that bought the packs when I bought mine had the same problems from day one like me and they ended up selling there's after last season. I'm thinking the webbing is too thin and that's why it bunches up so easy and doesn't grab well. So anyways was thinking of Kuiu or tenzing packs. How durable is the material on either and are weather water proof or water resistant and how do they handle weight and do the straps slip. I had Badlands before and they were comfy and no strap slipping but I kept going through zippers on them with weight.

blb078

WKR
Kuiu is going to be a step up from Tenzing. You can also look at Stone Glacier, Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, and McHale if you have the budget for a high end pack. I had a tz5000 but couldn't get it to fit right. I think mostly because I couldn't get the belt tight enough, which seems to be a problem for small waist guys buying off the shelf packs. My brother used it but he is bigger than me and thought it was fine. They had some issues when they first came out with zippers and stitching but apparently that has been corrected. The tenzing packs come with a rain cover. I think Rhendrix on here uses a tenzing so he might be able to give you more info on comfort and quality. Can't speak to kuiu packs but the Stone Glacier I have is awesome.

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
Check out the Kifaru Bikini . You can search on Rokslide for threads about them and watch the videos. I'm a Kifaru fan for good reasons . First is that it is all thoroughly tested before it is put on the market , absolute top quality , holds its value , and most importantly it just plain works. Every duplex bag will fit any duplex frame ever built. That means you are not getting obsoleted every generation. If you don't have the money for a new one you might find a used one for a little less but not a whole lot less. That also means that if you don't like it you can sell it and not take a beating. Depending on where you are located you may be able to find a member here who would let you check theirs out.

I have two separate Oregon Pack works packs, an Orion and a Green gate. One has the old style waist belt and the other the newer waist belt that will except a pouch. I have had zero issues with the waist belt. I would definitely contact Karl the owner. He is a great guy and will definitely take care of you. I also own a Kifaru pack which is an amazing pack. But for some reason I just keep migrating back to the OPW.

jherald

WKR
I've got a SG Terminus and Kifaru DT1. Both are better than any of the previous half dozen packs I've ever had before. If you call Kurt or Aron, they can both explain your options if you tell tham what your looking for in a pack.

Never used OPW pack though.

There are a lot of options for quality packs out there.

WV Dan

FNG
Funny you would mention belt slippage. When I got my Kifaru bikini frame that was the first thing that impressed me the most. The belt will nearly crush your pelvis and not let go. I've got quite a few training miles behind me and the belt is absolutely fantastic.....2 cents

idig4au

WKR
I use the 2012 Kuiu Icon 5000 for my day pack and quick weekend length trips. I'm quite happy with it and how it carries a load. I just use a rain cover for it if I get caught in a serious weather. I haven't had any issues with straps coming loose or etc. It cinches down small with no load. Its a well thought out pack in terms of pockets and etc. I haven't had an issue with durability with the bag yet. I don't plan on changing packs anytime soon for this type of hunting or outings.

For my extended backpacking trips, I don't use any of the packs mentioned above. I use a Barney's 7800 Yukon pack system.

There is a good following here with Kifaru, but I haven't tried one yet. As other posters have mentioned, there are many quality packs out there, especially if you take the next step up. With packs, you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

cmeier117

WKR
Spend a little more and get a kifaru. Kuiu will be better than Tenzing for sure. But for $200 more than the Tenzing you could have a custom pack made in the USA, that will last your lifetime. Trust me, you won't regret a Kifaru purchase.

Karljf

FNG
Derek 0525 was contacted by me, as he had never contacted OPW about the above strap issue. The slippage issue was been brought up in 2010 for our suspension, which was "user-error", as we suspected, and was never reported back onto the ifish forum. In the case above, the owner had not contacted OPW, so once reading the Rokslide post we contaced him and are mutually working toward a solution. It was originally brought to our attention by CMeier on this forum, after utilizing our "Demo" program.
Oregon Pack Works works very closely with the customer, ONLY when the customer contacts us believing there may be an issue. This could be a simple manufacturing mistake that we missed upon delivery. We only sk the decency of contacting us first if there is ever a problem, or concern.
Like most companies, we promise a lifetime warranty, and need the customer to play their part in conatcting us immediately if there is a real or perceived problem.
The vast majority of users are very happy, and we want to exceed all user's expectations, but can only do that if customers let us fulfill our part of the deal.
Thanks for believing in us, Karl J.