Fitness equipment

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
Here is my opinion:
I'd get a decent power rack, barbell, weights, and a bench. Strength training should be the foundation to everything else. Walking or walking with some weight can then be used to improve conditioning and improve insulin sensitivity. There are various beginner programs but I think Starting Strength is the best and requires minimal equipment.

Try to avoid buying something expensive as the first step. Rather, start with adding body weight exercises that compliment the movements that you are naturally strong with from your daily work. For example, you likely have a strong back and parts of your shoulders from picking up and carrying heavy tools, but how's the front side of your core doing? Likely, it's weaker than your posterior and the culprit for your back pain. Ask yourself 'how am I already strong' and focus on the opposite sides of your body. Simply getting a floor mat of some sort (or just finding a open carpeted area works) and doing some front planks (start on your knees) with some pushups can be a game changer. Also add stretches for your hips so that you have adequate mobility and can use the proper lifting technique in your work.

Once your body has decent range of motion and is fairly balanced, you'll be amazed at how much work it can then do. Start with small additions to your lifestyle otherwise you'll find an excuse to not do it.

TheGDog

WKR
And then.. once you feel like you're killin' it with planks... then try what I call "X-ups"! It's like a plank, but it's done on one side. First you're leaned upon one forearm bent at an angle to act like the base for your upper body up top.

Then.. after you've got yourself straight, your legs stiffened up straight, and in that kind of plank... then... extend both your top side leg and top side arm upward... to form the "X" and try to hold it there for a 10-count. Come up with some number of times to do that, which pushes you just a lil bit.

And really all of training is being consistent and trying each time to see if you can do just a little more. That one extra rep.... or extra minutes hanging in there on elliptical or whatever.. it all adds up and progresses you.

BUT... if you want progress.. You've GOT to get your good sleep and good high-quality food!

Haro450

FNG
I second the don't buy equipment thing. You don't need it to get a work out at home. If you can get your self to do a body weight work out on a descent schedule for a few months then start looking at buy a couple small things to complement that. Its not equipment that people need to work out its mainly motivation to work out. At least that's my experience. I bought a elliptical and used it a handful of times. I lacked the motivation and hated doing it. I would much rather do something out side.

TheGDog

WKR
RE: Motivation... I always think about how much it'd suck if I was packing out a black bear, and wasn't trying to keep up on some, at least baseline, fitness levels.

Cause I'm always hoping I'll see some of the bears I've caught on cams up there.

Last edited:

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Hello cmwhitmoyer glad you're making a decision to better your life. I'm 52 also and started my health change early last year with the motivation to go elk backpack hunting. Your motivation is to keep up with the scouts so keep reminding yourself that. You've received some good advice so far. I agree with what *zap* said about nutrition. Develope the best nutrition change you can stomach. Cut off junk food, emptyt calories and heavy carbs. Add vegetables, fruits, nuts and healthy fats to your HOME COOKED diet. One other change I made was to not eat anything after 6-7 pm. Also, when you start your new fitness routine, be consistant in your time and don't deviate. I was getting up at 4 AM which was one hour earlier than my normal 5 AM alarm time. I use an old school, 21 year old Bowflex but I will be going to more body weight excercises and core strenghtening to keep my back in shape better. Power walking is my current go to fitness for now.
So hello to SE PA for me as I grew up there in Lancaster County.

OP
cmwhitmoyer
COJoe,
I will be traveling across most of Lancaster tomorrow. Stocking pheasants at Muddy Run. My thought is that my cardio is lacking especially this time of year. I sit in a piece of equipment mulching invasives or run chainsaws and spray herbicide, or drive a truck around stocking pheasants. But usually when I get home from being out in the cold the last thing I want to do is go for a walk in the dark. That is why I asked about the machine. I could put a show on the TV and do 20 minutes of exercise before cooking supper or rushing to other functions.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
My dad worked at the Holtwood power plant for 27 years and drove past Muddy Run every day. That's a cool place and full of deer or at least used to be. My family haven't seen a pheasant in Kirkwood for years when they used to hunt the fields right next to our house.
I get it, hard to walk in the dark. Find something that works at home for now then and perhaps get outside on the weekend when you able to and walk some of the trails back there then maybe by spring time you can concentrate more getting outside. Maybe get a nice treadmill for your cardio. For what it's worth, I heard the Bowflex Max Trainer is pretty tough to use and keep using which could be why so many are for sale. I would buy one if I could find it very cheap though.

elkguide

WKR
I paint houses and do a lot of construction but as I tell people, "I'm maturing..... but not very well!"
I hate lifting weights but if I don't lift at least 3 days a week, I can't do my job. I am a very active bicycle rider in the summer but once winter sets in, I ride a trainer indoors. As I've aged, the trainer doesn't keep my cardio up enough to climb the hills out west and certainly would have let me down while I was packing an elk out for a mile and a half this fall. I would go to a gym and try out as many different pieces of equipment as you can and find out what you like. My wife loves the gym, but I can't stand one.

I have a bunch of free weights, a bicycle trainer, a Concept2 rowing machine and a Bow Flex Max Trainer. I have gotten into a habit of using a piece of equipment every day. Those are what work best for me, and I have worked hard at motivating myself and making it an enjoyable habit to always be ready for whatever hunt becomes available.

TheGDog

WKR
Always gotta "keep your eyes on the prize" in terms of the motivating thought. Otherwise you'll back-slide.

Also.. adopt a lot fo catch-phrases, which snap you back into following overall concepts.

For example "Pay To Play".

YOu can occasionally have that alcoholic drink, or indulgant food thing... BUT.. only if you're gonna "Pay" it back by adding some extra effort into your activity/gym-session.