FL Kiln 250 Hoody..First Impressions

I received my Kiln 250 in the mail this morning and got a chance to handle it and try it on..Here are a few of my initial thoughts.

The fabric feels awesome. It feels great next to the skin, as I would expect from FL. There is definitely a difference between the kiln fabric and the chama fabric - the 5% spandex gives it the perfect amount of stretch.

The sizing is spot on for me. I wore a large Chama, and it fit well except I always thought it was a little short. I ordered a large Kiln and it fits great across the chest and shoulders (my sawtooth in a large is tight across the shoulders, but that could be their "shooters cut"). It also fits correctly around the stomach and waist, unlike the chama, which was loose. I also noticed right away that they must have increased the length, because it is several inches longer than the chama, which is great. Sleeve length is plenty long as well. I'm 5'9" and about 190 for reference.

This is my first base layer top with a hood, and I'm not sure how to feel about it. I know lots of people love the hoods, but I find that when you aren't wearing the hood, it tends to pull the front of the collar (and zipper) upward and backward, making me constantly feel like I have to pull it back down in the front - anyone else ever get that? I'll wear it around the house a little and see if it continues to bother me - if so, I might have to trade it in for a regular 1/4 zip.

I saw someone else mention that the fusion pattern looked dark on the Kiln, and I will agree, but I can't really say its any darker than the merino wool portion of the sawtooth (the only other merino piece I have in fusion). Its definitely darker than the front of the sawtooth and my woodbury jacket, but I'm guessing that's just the nature of printing on merino wool?

beardedbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered a Large Kiln and I was swimming in it. But a large Chama fit perfect for me. I ordered a medium Kiln to see the difference. I was a little annoyed that it was so big compared to the chama.

cvsetter

FNG
Received my kiln hoodie in a large last week,the fit for me is better than my Chama's.look forward to see how it holds its shape over time.

lostinsd

FNG
I am getting ready to place my first..first lite order and have been looking at the kiln. Is the kiln too warm/heavy to wear in say 60-80 degree temps? I would like to get a base layer hoodie that I could also use as an outer layer in warm weather turkey/antelope/archery hunts. I'm wondering if I should back off and get something lighter?

Thanks

OP
cornfedkiller
I am getting ready to place my first..first lite order and have been looking at the kiln. Is the kiln too warm/heavy to wear in say 60-80 degree temps? I would like to get a base layer hoodie that I could also use as an outer layer in warm weather turkey/antelope/archery hunts. I'm wondering if I should back off and get something lighter?

Thanks

You might be alright at 60 if you aren't doing much activity, but I would say you are gonna be way too warm at 80. I'd get something in their Wick line for those temps.

mtholton

FNG
Can you share your height/weight/build and what size you ordered? I'm a med in every clothing brand on earth.... But First Lite is always a challenge with sizing. I wish they could standardize better across all lines (along with managing inventory better :) )

Dwight.MT

FNG
I wear size large in Sitka and Kuiu but in the past I've gone with medium in First Lite. FL said they'd worked out the sizing issues for the new 2018 line so I got a new Klamath, Kiln hoodie, and Furnace 1/4 zip - all in size large. I'm happy to say that they have indeed brought their sizes (in these items at least) in line with the rest of the world. They fit me well though I'd like it if they were a touch smaller around the torso - but I have that reaction to most shirts because my arms are long and shirts that fit well across the shoulders and arms are always a bit loose around my middle. My height/weight/build per the measuring guidelines on the FL website: Height 6'1", chest 40", arms 36", waist 33", hips 36". I think the 2018 FL size large shirts would also fit fine for someone with arms a little bit longer than mine and/or who is more burley in the torso. Any smaller than me and I think size medium would be the way to go. In fact I'd probably fit OK into a size medium if the sleeves are long enough (haven't had the opportunity to try a medium on).

OP
cornfedkiller
Can you share your height/weight/build and what size you ordered? I'm a med in every clothing brand on earth.... But First Lite is always a challenge with sizing. I wish they could standardize better across all lines (along with managing inventory better :) )

I'm 5'9", 190-195#, 42" chest, 52" overarm. I wear large in Sitka tops/vests (XL jetstream because I like a little room under it)