Flight Scheduling for Long Hunts

tclipse

Lil-Rokslider
Curious what you all are doing for those week-long hunts when you go to set up plane flights.

Are you taking the one-way and grabbing a new flight back when you're ready? Setting a return date and changing if you take less/more time to harvest?

I'm booked up for my first western hunt and trying to figure out the best strategy to spend less but also have flexibility in case I tag out early in the 7-day hunt. I'm not sure it makes much of a material difference.

Scottyboy

WKR
Depending on your airline and or ticket booked you can get a flight that can be changed without penalty

Macintosh

WKR
Why on earth would you return early from a vacation? I’d schedule that no-changes/no-refunds ticket to eek out every last minute. Its my vacation, I intend to maximize it.

Also, I get that some people have kids, a business to run, etc. But if you can take the time, why not take the time?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Make sure you book with the airline itself and not with an agency. You’ll get screwed with an agency if you try to change your flight. You can change flights with the major airlines on their app most of the time. I would book the round trip then move it up if needed.

Traveler

WKR
research which airlines have the best schedules and price to meet your needs and book round trip through them directly. Most flights can be changed, just a matter of cost. The flight I changed this year to a day early was actually cheaper and I had money returned to me.

Booking a one way flight with a day or two notice sounds more expensive most of the time.

OP
tclipse

tclipse

Lil-Rokslider
Why on earth would you return early from a vacation? I’d schedule that no-changes/no-refunds ticket to eek out every last minute. Its my vacation, I intend to maximize it.

Also, I get that some people have kids, a business to run, etc. But if you can take the time, why not take the time?
Mostly, a shorter trip in Feb means more days off later for turkey/whitetail/fishing and any fall draw hunts. It's not the only trip I have planned this year, so maximizing my time means upping my odds for other harvests if I get this one done early on. If I don't get lucky early, I'll be out there until the final hour giving it my best shot.

Book with the airline and book as round trip. Most you can change without penalty, you’ll just have to pay the price difference (if any) which will be a lot less than if you booked a return last minute.

One positive that came out of Covid was the airlines making it easier and cheaper (no penalties) for changing flights on short notice. I’ve noticed a few seem to be trying to get back to the pre-covid models though, so double check the fine print.