Flying into Vancouver with a rifle from the U.S?

What is the process upon landing in Vancouver from the U.S. with a bolt action rifle? I am aware that there is a RCMP GRC 5589e (2018-02-19) form that must be submitted. It appears that there is also a fee? Is this done upon arrival or does it need to be filed ahead of time? Considering a black bear hunt in 2024.

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
What is the process upon landing in Vancouver from the U.S. with a bolt action rifle? I am aware that there is a RCMP GRC 5589e (2018-02-19) form that must be submitted. It appears that there is also a fee? Is this done upon arrival or does it need to be filed ahead of time? Considering a black bear hunt in 2024.
Fill it out ahead of time. Declare the rifle when you go to the customs declaration iPads when you disembark. When you retrieve the gun from baggage claim (special spot for oversized luggage, separate from where you grab your suitcase), you will head towards the exit and someone will review the declaration form you just filled out and direct you to an area where they will inspect your gun to make sure the serial number on the gun matches the number you wrote on your form. And another guy to make sure your name on the form matches your passport. Pay the $25 (I think). Then you’re basically free to go. Keep that form with you. It should be a very easy process. I went through late at night and they said they were short staffed (despite all the staff members walking around doing nothing). Two of the guys I dealt with, despite being not in a hurry, were good guys and interested in talking about bear hunting. The final guy who had to look at the form the first two guys checked and say “yes” before I could walk out the door played dumb like he’d never seen a form like this one and didn’t know what to do and no one would respond to him on the radio. Finally someone came out and said I was good to go. It was kind of annoying but oh well. Probably more so because I had been traveling all day. Obviously, don’t open your gun case until specifically instructed to.

Ibex

FNG
Allow yourself 2 plus hour layover in order to go through customs declare your firearm and back through security.