Flying to Whitehorse from TX

cbeard64

WKR
What have you guys found to be the best option for flying to Whitehorse from the southern states? I’m in Texas and it seems my options are much more limited than they were 5 plus years ago. A couple of carriers had one stop flights through Vancouver but that appears to be a thing of the past. Maybe I am missing something….

Thanks for any information.

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I'd fly to Calgary and then fly WestJet directly to Whitehorse.

I did this route last August and it worked fine.

I did the trip through Vancouver in 2018 and it was kind of a pain in the ass and they are not the most hunter friendly airport in my opinion. That trip I flew Delta to Vancouver then transferred to Air Canada there.

Went fine, just more hassle than Calgary was.

Just my .02.

My airport preference for hunter friendly: Edmonton, Calgary, then Vancouver. Vancouver isn't bad. No first hand experience but I will avoid Toronto and Montreal based on others.

My airline preference is: Air North, WestJet, then Air Canada. With Air North and WestJet both being great.

I went DFW/Vancouver/Whitehorse. I'm assuming back when I booked a Calgary itinerary wasn't working out due to schedule.

Play around with flightconnections.com. It's a fun tool if you like to travel.

There are lots of direct flights from Houston to Calgary. Should be easy to get to Whitehorse direct from Calgary.

Ibex

FNG
I have flown there twice 5-6 years ago. If my memory is correct it’s a little early for a variety of flights to be available. I flew out of Austin both times. Allow plenty of time in Vancouver for customs. I did not my first time and it was a little hectic. Who are you hunting with?

OP
cbeard64

cbeard64

WKR
I have flown there twice 5-6 years ago. If my memory is correct it’s a little early for a variety of flights to be available. I flew out of Austin both times. Allow plenty of time in Vancouver for customs. I did not my first time and it was a little hectic. Who are you hunting with?

Golden Bear Outfitting for caribou and moose. Northern BC. Flying out of Dallas.

I have hunted sheep in the Yukon twice but the last time was in 2017. Booked American through to Whitehorse both of those trips but American is not giving me that option this time. Last time because I was booked all the way to WH I didn’t have to schlep my luggage through customs in Vancouver, just identify it on a video screen and answer some questions. Pretty hassle free.

I could fly American to Vancouver and Air North to Whitehorse but am looking for all my options. Would prefer to just book once round trip to Whitehorse but looks like I may not be able to - at least not without several stops/plane changes.

I recommend breaking it up and spending the night in the Fairmont Vancouver Airport Hotel. (It’s also a good place to stay on the way back. They will gladly keep your coolers in the hotel freezer)

Day 1: DFW to YVR on Alaska airlines
Day 2: YVR to YXY (first flight of the day) on Air North

Last edited:

gerry35

WKR
Personally I'd fly to Calgary and then fly WestJet directly to Whitehorse.

I did this route last August and it worked fine.

I did the trip through Vancouver in 2018 and it was kind of a pain in the ass and they are not the most hunter friendly airport in my opinion. That trip I flew Delta to Vancouver then transferred to Air Canada there.

Went fine, just more hassle than Calgary was.

Just my .02.
This is what I would recommend, Air Canada sucks and WestJet has usually been a lot better.

TXBREWER

FNG
Man I live in Texas and hunted BC September of ‘23.
day 1: flew united direct from Austin, TX to Vancouver
day 2: flew air north direct from Vancouver to Whitehorse
zero Issues, second the Fairmont Vancouver Airport Hotel, and Allow plenty of time in Vancouver for customs.

TXCO

WKR
I flew Houston to Vancouver to white horse. No sweat. Im sure DFW and IAH have options to Vancouver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk