Fool me once Salewa….

These Salewa shoes are a year old. Used occasionally for daily duties. Errands, mowing yard on rider, trips in car, Costco, chores. No running, hiking, or heavy use.
They degraded faster than any footwear I have ever owned. Pulled laces and my insoles and begrudgingly tossed in garbage yesterday.
I come from the camp that believes if you are capable of putting out junk, you can’t convince me that corners are not cut on everything you make. Done with Salewa!
e301b664594751dce287705e029304fa.jpg

dc52be567043697159c1510973c77949.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mt100gr.

WKR
I've had a couple pair of the Crow boots take a ton of abuse and miles, although they were never really waterproof despite the Goretex. That is my only disappointment with their dedicated Mountain boots.

But the Mountain Trainer (2 pair) and a few pair of the shoes/lite models, etc mirrored your experience. They self destructed with minimal use.

I will say that Salewa fit my feet the best right out of the box, which is why I have been fooled more than I care to admit. Thankfully I have always found them at decent discounts.

I had those same shoes a couple years back. I absolutely loved them for the 6 months before they started falling apart. Left a message with their CS and zero response. Not happening again.

Mojave

WKR
I am in my 50's, I buy 4-6 pairs of running shoes a year. Mostly Brooks, Altra and Hoka.

I walk 3-6 miles a night.

Unless another situation calls for it, I only wear running shoes.

I am happy if they last 3-4 months.

I have tried all the cheaper brands and they shred sooner and my feet hate me.

I don't buy running shoes made by hiking companies, and i don't buy hiking boots made by a running company like Hoka.

yfarm

WKR
I don’t run anymore, walk and bike daily, wear Kanes instead, more comfortable and durable aside from sole wear. My go to trail shoes have been North Face ultras for years, typically got 3 years of everyday wear out of a pair.

Dang. I literally got a set of mountain trainer lights this week. My first Salewa shoes. They got high marks on outdoor gear lab, which is a decent review site IMO. I hoped they might be better than the Salamons they are replacing. I got a decent price on them - $105 - so I guess if I get 6 months I ought to be happy.

BadEarth

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had a couple pairs of rapace too and love them. Fit my feet super well and have held up great. I’ve never tried shoes tho

I in no way want to come off as contradictory, but I picked up a pair of these Salewa MTN Trainer 2 a couple of years back and my wife and I just had the conversation about how they were one of the best investments I have made in a long time. I wear them for everything you mentioned, including Costco, and they have been utterly bulletproof. My pair is a bit ruggeder than the ones you bought, so that might explain their better wear. My only point is that Salewa definitely makes some, if not all, high quality stuff.

Attachments

• kry0wis3.png
    kry0wis3.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
I bought four pairs of Salewa Mountain Trainer Lite Mid GTX boots last summer for myself, wife, and two teenage boys. We backpacked the Grand Canyon for a week in them. Used them for fall hunting and backcountry fishing trips. No blisters or problems. Since then I've used the same pair to go rucking once a week all through the winter, backpack turkey hunting, local hikes, etc. They still look almost new.

Based on that experience I just bought a pair of Salewa Pedroc Air. I go for a long walk at lunch every day. So far so good.

I used MTN trainers as my primary boot until last year. They changed the design and I hate the extra points of failure on them.

Prior to the new design though I loved them. I'd destroy a pair every year in deadfall and lava rock, but they were great boots.

I did get pissed off on my third pair because I put them through more than they were made and blew the sides out in 6 months. Hunted Barbary with tenacious tape patches on the boots.

I haven't found boots that fit as well yet. Trying some scarpa zodiacs on Thursday. Gonna be returning boots until I find "the one"

In 1981 I bought a pair of white loggers for $150. In 2005 I bought a second pair for $500. I'm still wearing both of them. I have had the bottoms resoled a couple times and have worn them for work as well as hunting in timbered country and steep as hell cliffy country.

I'm guessing my first pair may lie down and die in the next couple years but I think I got my moneys worth. My suggestion is have a custom pair made for your feet and try your best to wear them out.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a pair of the Salewa Mountain Trainer Lite Mid GTX last fall. They replaced my Salomon Quest Forces at work and I have been really happy with them so far.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
In 1981 I bought a pair of white loggers for $150. In 2005 I bought a second pair for $500. I'm still wearing both of them. I have had the bottoms resoled a couple times and have worn them for work as well as hunting in timbered country and steep as hell cliffy country.

I'm guessing my first pair may lie down and die in the next couple years but I think I got my moneys worth. My suggestion is have a custom pair made for your feet and try your best to wear them out.
Bought my first pair in 2006. I’ve had them resoled a couple times and rebuilt once. Still the most comfortable boot I’ve ever owned.