For your first time out west

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm asking for my uncle who is planning on a 2017 archery mule deer hunt in Colorado. He's in his early 50's clean bill of health but not athletic.

1:altitude acclamation. Coming from Ohio I plan on him spending a few days in Denver (5000 ish) then a couple days at camp before season opens (7300ft) max elevation will be 9800.
How does this plan sound, anything to add or change?

2: He is working with his doctor on a general cardio, strength program. Any good ideas for increasing lung capacity?

WKR
IIRC, the minimum time needed to physiologically adapt to altitude is about 2 weeks. A couple of days won't do much good. Just pace accordingly and stay hydrated.

Brado16

WKR
Running for cardio/lunge capacity and hiking with a weighted pack for strength training and cardio. Also make sure to take it easy and stay hydrated as mentioned above.

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
Coincidentally I was discussing altitude with a 50 something coworker, who for reference is an accomplished hiker, climber and skier. My questions to him were about my trip this year which will likely be between 8 and 10k vs my last trip where I was between 6 and 8k. Would I feel any difference? His advice on what he does is to have an very solid aerobic base so when the thin air causes you to huff and puff under a lighter load than the 900 ft we live at, your body is at least adapted to and can recover quicker from that high level of effort.
Nothing earth shattering but thought I'd share given the similar ages. Good luck.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yardwork, you're correct a 2000ft difference can be significant, even with no pack. I'm good to about 10000 till I feel it.

Last edited: