Funky arrow flight

Ohiohuntr

Lil-Rokslider
So I have 1 arrow out of the doz that cork screws all the way to the target and gives a twang when released. I’ve changed the nock, flexed it and can’t figure out why, it hits with the others but I’ve reserved it now for the junk pile, both ends have been squared so I’m lost as to why at this point

Bead

FNG
Sounds like an insert/outsert or fletching issue. Did you bare shaft tune your dozen before fletching?

Yes sir, it’s only the one arrow
Sounds like a bad nock or fletching contact, but if you changed out the knock then, I have no idea.

Did this arrow act this way from build time, or did it start all of a sudden? If its from build time maybe it's an incorrect spine arrow that got mislabeled. Fastest way to check that is to weigh it. See if it is the same weight as others. If it started all of a sudden then maybe it has some defect that you just can't see.

Beendare

WKR
It's surprising we don't see more of this to be honest.

Years ago in carbon shafts infancy, I would get 3-4 arrows per dozen that wouldn't group.
Now-a-days its rare.

Sounds like Spine to me- a manufacturing issue with the shaft itself. Sometimes you can strip the fletch, replace nok or turn it 90 degrees (edit to add) which reorients the spine stiffness...and refletch.

Last edited:
OP
Ohiohuntr

Ohiohuntr

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll weigh it and refletch it but it’s been that way since I first shot it, I went to the nock first but like I said I switched it. If I can’t figure it out I’ll put it in the junk bucket, old arrows make good pepper stakes for the garden lol

OP
Ohiohuntr

Ohiohuntr

Lil-Rokslider
Weighed the arrow compared to the others, it’s within one grain, gonna just chalk it up as bad carbon I guess, I don’t own a spine tester

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
Is the nock end cracked? If you put side pressure on the nock can you see a split? I had one do that a couple years back that sounded strange when I shot it.