Gaining muscle for hunting?

RCB

WKR
I’m naturally a thin guy. In the last 6 months or so I’ve started doing some simple strength training. Have definitely gained strength, muscle mass, and weight.

I’m wondering if others who have done that have noticed any changes, positive or negative, for backcountry hunting. Strength in the legs, back, and shoulders seems like an obvious benefit, especially during the pack out. but I wonder if muscle elsewhere is superfluous mass in the mountains. This all assumes that one maintains their cardio fitness, of course.

I didn’t notice much this season, but I also didn’t push myself that hard this year.

Share your experience.

grfox92

WKR
I’m naturally a thin guy. In the last 6 months or so I’ve started doing some simple strength training. Have definitely gained strength, muscle mass, and weight.

I’m wondering if others who have done that have noticed any changes, positive or negative, for backcountry hunting. Strength in the legs, back, and shoulders seems like an obvious benefit, especially during the pack out. but I wonder if muscle elsewhere is superfluous mass in the mountains. This all assumes that one maintains their cardio fitness, of course.

I didn’t notice much this season, but I also didn’t push myself that hard this year.

Share your experience.
I have recently stopped doing all body building type of weight lifting and now exclusively do kettle bell workouts.

Sit on the bench and do a set of shoulder press with dumbells. Then Grab the equivalent weight kettle bell, put it on the floor between your legs while you are standing. Squat down and grab the kettle bell with 1 hand, do a power clean with it in the neutral position of traditional shoulder press, then press it over your head and then reverse the process bringing the kettle bell back down to the floor.

Do a set of that with a kettle bell and you will feel muscles all over your body and throughout your entire core being activated. I'm alr3ady in good shape and when I did my first kettle bell routine, I could barley walk for 3 days.

Kettle bells are a much better bang for your buck. Just Google "kettle bell routine".

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

blkqi

WKR
Strength training is undeniably healthy and has the same benefits in the back country as it does in general.

One that should be obvious, but might not be: it decreases your risk of injury.

I’m 6’ tall and my weight has ranged from 180 to 220 pounds. My workout regimen has varied from ultra running with virtually no strength training to this last year where it was 90% strength training and then hiking and mountain biking.

I hunted a pretty tough elk unit this year. I averaged about 9 miles of hiking per day and 2000+ of elevation gained per day. I feel better this year at 52 than I did at 44 when I ran a 50 miler.

In addition, I handle the hard pack outs much better. Recovery is quicker and I can move the weight easier.

I currently weigh 200 lbs.

TrackerG

FNG
I’m 6 foot 235 with 14% body fat. I have gained a lot of muscle lifting heavy the last few years. I’ve noticed I never have aches or pains in the back country and can pack some SERIOUS meat. but if you let your cardio go just a little bit then your cardio is going to be substantially worse because you have that much more muscle to send oxygen to.

Overall I have found that I hike 45 min every day with 50 pounds in my pack and lift the big compound lifts as heavy as possible 3 days a week and that is perfect for me.

Attachments

• 145ABCEA-53E9-458C-A775-4F5057FF31E1.jpeg
    145ABCEA-53E9-458C-A775-4F5057FF31E1.jpeg
    700.7 KB · Views: 138

huntnful

WKR
I lift like normal, and then a few months before season I switch to 15-20 set reps and then finish off every lifting session with 30 minutes of pretty hard cardio. I normally go into the season around 175lbs. "Back in the day", I packed an entire buck and a full winter time camp out for 14 miles. Pack weighed 130lbs when I got to the butcher shop. I think lifting weights helps a lot, but I think being mentally prepared for potentially 8 straight hours of pain helps even more lol.

Definitely agree that intense cardio or HIIT cardio should be equal to the weight training as season nears. Your lungs will give out before your legs I think.

Reactions: RCB

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The last 10 years or so I've pretty religiously strength trained twice a week (combining squats/bench on one day and deadlifts/overhead press the other). Along w/ the large compound lifts I do pull/chin-ups, lunges, dips and work my core- no curls, no isolated this or that, no machines.

I balance this w/ hiking 5-7 days/week with a lot of ascent/descent. I also backpack year round, so it ups my normal weekly miles. When it starts closing in on hunting season (6-8 weeks prior), I add rucking w/ weight when I hike.

This "formula" has worked pretty well for me; recently turning 66 hasn't hampered my getting around the mountains. The strength training is a very integral part of the "formula".

I know there are a lot of folks that would rather lift than work cardio and vice versa, imho ignoring either one is going to hold you back come hunting season- find the balance and you'll be GTG.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Calf raises, leg extensions, leg curls, hip stretches, bench press with some variation on hand positioning. All that I go with a moderate weight high reps to simulate a long day in the field. My new favorite is hip raises. I’ll do a set with knees together and then a set with knees out a little. This seems to stimulate the glutes well. Add a plate or more on your lap to work your muscles or little to no weight to just get your hips and back inline.

Don’t know if live somewhere with anything steep or rocky but time on that is always good.

Not really exercising but learning to use my poles correctly and proper downhill technique.

Benefits were less fatigue while out and a lot less fatigue once back home. My knees were a little strained but that went away to. Also I used to have a stiff back after a couple days or a long hard day. I have a few trails I frequent in the summer and noticed a big improvement in breathing and endurance.

My pace on those hills only improved by 1/8 mph but I can go a lot farther before getting winded or needing to stop so it’s a much more efficient pace. Better circulation that helps tolerate the cold.

Last edited:
Reactions: RCB
My younger brother is a stud at 43 years old… he always says you can’t exercise your way out of a bad diet. I’ve come to learn he’s pretty accurate.

More protein and fiber, less shitty carbs has gone a long way for me. I’m down to my high school weight and much stronger in my mid 40s.

Fowl Play

WKR
My main exercise regiment revolves around cardio, squats, deadlifts, and military presses. You could literally just do this and it will turn you into an animal on the mountain. Get with a trainer and focus on proper form from the get go before going heavy. These are great full body exercises but will hurt you if done heavy with bad form.

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
No offense to OP, but I'm always amused when there's some question as to whether strength training is beneficial for someone. The answer is always yes. No matter what your pursuit. The research is pretty clear. The older you are, the more beneficial it is. There's a direct correlation between grip and leg strength and mortality. It's like asking, "Would my truck be more capable with 50 more horsepower?" Of course. Now OBVIOUSLY, a guy still has to maintain an adequate baseline of cardio for mountain hunting. You can't just lift and expect to crush the hills. Personally, I ramp UP my cardio and back down my lifting as September approaches. Like peaking for an athletic event.

A guy could do very well for himself just doing the big 5: bench, squat, deadlift, overhead press, and pullups/chins. I will say this though, some isolation work for biceps, triceps, shoulders, calves, etc. is not for just showing off at the beach. It's about balance. I made the mistake a few years ago when I was doing a dedicated powerlifting program where I did zero biceps work. I got unbelievable biceps tendinitis due to an imbalance that developed to the point I couldn't hardly train anything upper body. Started doing 3 sets of bis twice and week and BOOM, pain was gone in just a few weeks.

WKR
Strength training and hypertrophy {gaining muscle) are two different questions, and while related, should be considered independently.

In general, strength work is very valuable for some, and somewhat valuable for the vast majority. There are instances where it might be minimally useful and even possibly contraindicated but those cases are quite rare and usually due to medical condition or injury history.

Training priority lists are also the result of an assessment process, understanding the demands of required physical activity (work), injury history/susceptibility, and the demands of the event/activity that you're training to improve.

I’m 6 foot 235 with 14% body fat. I have gained a lot of muscle lifting heavy the last few years. I’ve noticed I never have aches or pains in the back country and can pack some SERIOUS meat. but if you let your cardio go just a little bit then your cardio is going to be substantially worse because you have that much more muscle to send oxygen to.

Overall I have found that I hike 45 min every day with 50 pounds in my pack and lift the big compound lifts as heavy as possible 3 days a week and that is perfect for me.
Hell yea brother. A true HOSS

I work 7 days a week all June and July into august, and typical stop working out sometime in April. I dive right into bear season with some hikes which turn into hunts. I used a peloton bike 5-6 times this year before my first hunt and made it 26 miles in a weekend and 2 pack outs and never cramped up, which was always a problem for me. I took a month off hunting and rolled back into deer season end of October and did the same thing with the peloton. Did a 4000’ climb with 64lbs on my back and while I got very fatigued no cramping. Water and food intake helps, but the training style of that bike in incorporating resistance with stamina I think was largely beneficial to my performance this season.

Now the off season I’ll lift heavy. I’m 6’ and 195lbs. I’ll squat 315lbs for reps and put on good muscle mass before the summer takes it away from me. I’ll usually lose 8-10lbs. Your core is key and anything that goes with it. Lower back, abs, hips, etc. focus on those areas along with your normal lifts and you’ll be fine as far as injury goes. Some kettlebell exercises will benefit with mobility and joint health too but won’t build your muscle mass. Both of these items though are equally important. Strength while maintaining mobility you’ll find most people don’t have.

Naturally I stay fairly fit and strong year round, I never feel like I don’t have the strength to pack 80-100lbs packs. I’ve done more before, but I feel like the stamina is the key aspect on getting on and off that mountain. Strength is important but be sure to incorporate some strength/stamina training mainly before season like what @huntnful said. And running/jogging won’t get you there.

TheHammer

WKR
As most have said strength training can only help you as long as a balance between strength and cardio is obtained. Improving your A02max is ideal. From everything I’ve seen fast twitch muscles are not ideal in the mountains and it’s where I always struggle, I’ve switched to a lot of kettlebell and resistance band work with high intensity. I mostly work on heavy equipment and my body takes a beating, I have very little pain or ailments due to my daily routines. I’m 5’10”, come winter I’m 220lbs (currently 218) w/32” waist n come elk season I like to be 205-206 w/31” waist. Everyday I do something that improves me physically with the mountains being the end goal. Training with a weighted pack is ideal aswell. Recently I started wearing a plate carrier during my workouts. Diet! Your diet is very important maybe equally to physical activity. Especially the older we all get.

EricBender208

Lil-Rokslider
As most have said strength training can only help you as long as a balance between strength and cardio is obtained. Improving your A02max is ideal. From everything I’ve seen fast twitch muscles are not ideal in the mountains and it’s where I always struggle, I’ve switched to a lot of kettlebell and resistance band work with high intensity. I mostly work on heavy equipment and my body takes a beating, I have very little pain or ailments due to my daily routines. I’m 5’10”, come winter I’m 220lbs (currently 218) w/32” waist n come elk season I like to be 205-206 w/31” waist. Everyday I do something that improves me physically with the mountains being the end goal. Training with a weighted pack is ideal aswell. Recently I started wearing a plate carrier during my workouts. Diet! Your diet is very important maybe equally to physical activity. Especially the older we all get.
Completely agree here. I’m in the same boat (5’11’ 225 with a 33” inch waist). When spring/summer comes around I don’t pick the weights up as much but I usually hit the mountains hard and move to lighter weights, more reps and kind of make myself mini goals (how many reps on a 225 bench and 315). Also if it’s rest day im doing some kind of stretching or yoga.

joehew89

FNG
Be well balanced. Ive been a 165lb marathoner and I've been a 220lb guerilla. Im curretly 6' 190 and at 40 years old feel like im in my sweet spot. Strong cardio is the foundation for all functional fitness. Eat more protein than you think. A good starting point is one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight per day. (Example: 180lbs = 180 grams of protein per day)

Be well balanced. Ive been a 165lb marathoner and I've been a 220lb guerilla. Im curretly 6' 190 and at 40 years old feel like im in my sweet spot. Strong cardio is the foundation for all functional fitness. Eat more protein than you think. A good starting point is one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight per day. (Example: 180lbs = 180 grams of protein per day)
I’m not 40 yet, but agree with this. Being ~200lbs and 6’ I feel is a good athletic mid point for still have strength while maintaining mobility.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I was running mountain ultras, my weight was right around 170. I don’t run ultras anymore (but still hike a shit ton of miles), my weight is 185-ish. I’m definitely stronger and this feels like the “right” weight for me.