Gear List - February NM DIY Aoudad

tclipse

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,

I'm setting up for a DIY Aoudad hunt in NM in February for 7 days, and need some critiques on my gear. I'll have a truck near by so much of the extra stuff will be left there and accessible if needed. Am I overdoing the attached, or am I missing anything?

Capture.JPG

Hard to say… you’re not overdoing it if you’re leaving half that at the truck. If you’re planning on hiking with all that on your back I’d say drop half of it.

OP
tclipse

tclipse

Lil-Rokslider
Hard to say… you’re not overdoing it if you’re leaving half that at the truck. If you’re planning on hiking with all that on your back I’d say drop half of it.
With the weather being so crazy variable in NM that time of year, what I leave in the truck will depend on temps. Planning to head back to truck every 1-2 days and camp within a few miles of it to balance extra hunting range with re-supply needs.

Anything "backup" and most of the food will stay in the truck, as well as some of the clothes depending on next day hi/lo.

Also, the "alternative" list is not coming along. Just other stuff I could swap in. I'm also considering a UTV rental but not sure if it's worth it, I've heard both.

eamyrick

WKR
Shovel for bathroom near the truck. Also I’ve spent a fair amount of time in Aoudad country and may consider a floored tent due to creepy crawlers. You are spot on for the water. It can be warm any time of the year and you will be surprised how much water you can go through.

OP
tclipse

tclipse

Lil-Rokslider
Also I’ve spent a fair amount of time in Aoudad country and may consider a floored tent due to creepy crawlers.
Is that the case in Feb still? With night temps averaging 30s and sometime in the teens I figured there wouldn’t be many bugs around.

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
Live in Tucson, we just had 2 bee stings at work in the last week. Seems like creepy crawlies never go away here. Also, prepare for WIND. seems like it is very windy during those hunts.

TX_Diver

WKR
I'd consider a small buddy heater for warming up the tent in the morning (not for running overnight in my opinion although I know some people do).

Also a small folding table is really nice to have outside the tent along with a camp chair.

Wouldn't pack any of that stuff, but nice to have if you're sleeping, camping, cooking, glassing by the truck.

No way I'd take the 30 degree bag for a February hunt either.

WoodBow

WKR
I didn't read through your gear list. Because...well....it was long. I have done diy NM aoudad several times. Once was in january or february. Temps were single digits at night. First time ive had to worry with keeping water thawed for drinking.

Gear actually carried is no different than any other similar hunt.
Worn gear:
Base merino
Any decent hiking pant. I happened to wear corrugate foundry pants and they were great.
Some type of fleece mid layer top (sitka core heavy weight for me)
Puffy jacket
Beanie
Bino harness
Gloves for glassing

Packed gear:
Tripod
butt pad
game bags and whatever you use to quarter
water bottles or bladder (we did not consume very much on the january hunt even hiking 10ish miles per day.)
Phone with loaded maps

That's really about it. No need to complicate it. You can take as much crap as you want that will be left in truck.

wyosteve

WKR
I didn't read the whole list either so if this is on there, I apologize. I suggest a magnifying glass and tweezers. Lots of things to 'stick' you out there.

Only thing I would add is if you had access to a spotting scope, I would definitely take it. It can make long periods of glassing extremely more comfortable and comfortable.

OP
tclipse

tclipse

Lil-Rokslider
Only thing I would add is if you had access to a spotting scope, I would definitely take it. It can make long periods of glassing extremely more comfortable and comfortable.
It’s on there, I’m just dumb and listed it under Misc. gear instead of with the important stuff. Razor HD 16-48x65. I’ve heard the higher magnification the better for this hunt, but this is what I’ve got.

NMBigGame

FNG
Bring a bigger tent, a cot, and get decent sleep. No advantage from backpacking any of the NM Barbary units. If you have access to a SxS or an eBike would be helpful to bring. Also, depending on your location, that fire starter kit could be useless with the lack of things to burn. Also, bring a glassing pad. Everything you sit near or on will poke and stick you. Agree with wyosteve about the tweezers. Bring good ones not the cheap backpack med kit ones.

JPoland

FNG
Depending on what area you'll be in you may have to contend with rocks about the size of your fist EVERYWHERE. You can't see them from satellite images or really even from a mile away but they are treacherous, again if in your area. Boots with excellent support are a must IMO. I used poles to help with the up and down terrain and I'd recommend them to anyone. You are making a good call staying closer to the truck. This hunt doesn't need to be a gear hunt that includes the kitchen sink so don't overthink it.

cgasner1

WKR
I just did a Barbary sheep hunt a few weeks ago no way I’d bivy for those things. They are constantly moving and either there or aren’t. Hunt a area if you don’t see them burn boot leather till you do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

406life

Lil-Rokslider
I'd add snakebite gaiters. Not for the snakes, but for everything else that can poke you out there. I had a yucca stab me and break off. Required an ER visit to remove.

OP
tclipse

tclipse

Lil-Rokslider
Bring a bigger tent, a cot, and get decent sleep. No advantage from backpacking any of the NM Barbary units. If you have access to a SxS or an eBike would be helpful to bring. Also, depending on your location, that fire starter kit could be useless with the lack of things to burn. Also, bring a glassing pad. Everything you sit near or on will poke and stick you. Agree with wyosteve about the tweezers. Bring good ones not the cheap backpack med kit ones.
After going in the trip, this was spot on. For me as a non-res without an ability to bring in a SxS, it was a hybrid truck/day pack hunt.

Id end up driving to an attractive spot and day hiking, returning to the truck for the evening and camping out next to it. I would heavily consider a nice wall tent for the my next draw on this hunt.

I brought a 2-man Nemo tent and it got me through, but with a crazy wind storm wasn’t really up to task for some of the week. Most dudes out there had wall tents at minimum, with many bringing hard-side trailers or campers.

DavidAr

FNG
I do not see the tough leather gloves to grab on to thorny vegetation going dow hill , they are a must for me