General Purpose AR Optic

blazingangel09

Lil-Rokslider
I am upgrading the optics on my AR-15 for better general purpose use. I use this rifle for whitetail and hog hunting out to 300 yards, 2 gun matches with reasonable targets out to 400 yards and plan to press it into service for simulated long range shooting practice. I would like to make the switch from MOA to MIL be able to practice dialing. The Trijicon Credo 1-4 MRAD seems like solid option at a sub $600 price point. Does anyone have any experience with this model? Are there any other scopes I should consider?

I have a nice Hawke illuminated 1-6X listed with rings. Only reason I am selling is transitioning the rifle purpose to a short range red dot.

You can also dial using MOA…….just saying.

I use nightforce on my “general purpose” ARs, I have a NXS 1-4x and a NX8 1-8x. Both are legit, I can do holds and dial. They track reliably and have taken a beating. I put them in Scalarworks LEAP/08 1.93” mounts.

OP
B

blazingangel09

Lil-Rokslider
Steiner T6Xi 1-6.

I'm not sure what "simulated long range" is.
I only have access to 400 yards shooting positions on a regular basis which I don't consider "long range". I plan to use smaller targets, positional shooting and time constraints to get valuable practice. Essentially I'm making due with what I have in between opportunities to actually stretch my legs.

OP
B

blazingangel09

Lil-Rokslider
You can also dial using MOA…….just saying.

I use nightforce on my “general purpose” ARs, I have a NXS 1-4x and a NX8 1-8x. Both are legit, I can do holds and dial. They track reliably and have taken a beating. I put them in Scalarworks LEAP/08 1.93” mounts.
That's definitely true. I have historically been an MOA shooter because my brain works better in inches but I'm in the process of switching everything to MIL to benefit from its inherent advantages.

OP, the price point of $600 definitely limits your options, but there are plenty of reasonably good scopes out there, and the Trijicon's one of the best at that price. It's great.

As you go up in price with optics, you definitely do get big bumps in quality, and you probably need to get over $1500 before you start seeing significantly diminishing returns with increased costs. As in, you don't get double the optical "clarity", or won't see twice as long after sundown, by doubling the price point. You're still getting increased capabilities, but the advantages get smaller and smaller, while the costs definitely don't go up in smaller and smaller increments.

Bear in mind, that's with the quality of the actual unit. There's a different inflection point for diminishing returns on what you personally can get out of a scope, or need out of a scope - and what your rifle is actually capable of is also an important factor to include.

As to what you do get as price goes up is better glass; coatings that help with light transmission and better clarity of the different wavelengths coming in; better reliability and durability of the overall system; better precision and repeatability of the erector; higher quality materials in various places...the list goes on. And generally speaking, the "more" you want of any of these things, the heavier the scope gets.

A couple of decades ago, a pretty good rule of thumb was to plan on spending about as much on your glass as you did on your rifle - they'd match capability and need pretty closely. These days, when it seems even some of the entry level guns can get MOA accuracy, it seems for many they get a better match between gun and optic by spending about 2x the cost of the rifle on the scope...it's a very rough and unscientific guideline, but again, it seems to track pretty well in matching the capabilities of the gun and how it may be used.

Again, the Creedo's a solid choice in that price point - you can take plenty of peace of mind in that selection.

Curious about the benefits,reason I ask is I inquired with Barbour creek about long range class and gear used.I told them i had a nf moa scope and ask if i should change over to mill and they said they wouldn’t.Same response I got from another popular school.

Rock-o

WKR
...ask if i should change over to mill and they said they wouldn’t.Same response I got from another popular school.

Why not?

Moa vs mil is both use and preference. It's simply two different systems to make the same measurement... an angle. I'd venture a guess that the prominent unit for angle measurement in long range is mil. Kind of like some places measure speed in kilometers per hour while some measure in miles per hour. Is one better/worse? Is one right/wrong? Even though in the US speed signs are in miles one can still use kilometers... preference.

I learned on mils, every course I have gone to uses mils, but I prefer MOA, my brain just comprehends it better. One isn’t necessarily better than the other, pick one and get to shooting.

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
I am upgrading the optics on my AR-15 for better general purpose use. I use this rifle for whitetail and hog hunting out to 300 yards, 2 gun matches with reasonable targets out to 400 yards and plan to press it into service for simulated long range shooting practice. I would like to make the switch from MOA to MIL be able to practice dialing. The Trijicon Credo 1-4 MRAD seems like solid option at a sub $600 price point. Does anyone have any experience with this model? Are there any other scopes I should consider?
I just bought the Steiner P4XI 1-4 for around $440 new on EuroOptic and put it on a Beretta ARX. The reticle is kind of clunky compared to the old Steiner model but it’s awesome glass and durable at a great price. I hear great things about the Credo. I have an accupoint 1-6 on a Ruger SFAR which is very similar and it’s awesome. Can’t go wrong with Trijicon. EuroOptic also has great prices on them.

eapple24

FNG
I’m a fan of the trijicon tr24 with triangle post. With a 50 yard zero shots 25-200 are pretty quick and easy