Getting a new truck, help me decide

dotman

WKR
6k rpm? I'm guessing you've never driven or ridden in a 3.5 ecoboost truck? You might see 3k on real steep hill, flat ground more like 1800. We get it, you love your Titan, and that's great. Just don't try to convince us it's something more than what it really is, a half ton with a heavy engine.

2018 Ford F150 or Nissan Titan XD? Towing 11,000 lbs on the Super Ike! - YouTube

This pretty much says what I have been saying, the Titan is just comfortable to tow with, that ecoboost does seem like a rocket but too bad they didn’t put it in a heavier truck to improve the control factor. Imo from this video the ecoboost has plenty of motor but it should be in a 3/4 ton so it can control the load.

Guess I could careless about a fast pickup but that’s me, glad you like the f150 for towing.

Wonder how the ecoboost would do here Nissan Titan XD vs GMC Denali truck pull Black Widow with the win. - YouTube

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
Any modern diesel is as quiet, if not quieter compared to their gas counter part (sadly). 02 duramax with a 5in straight pipe doesn’t bother game one bit. That being said GM makes the best gas engine hands down, I’m a GM fan but most all trucks built in the last ten years will give each other a run for their money. Each one has comparable capacities. (Towing, MPG, features, etc). If going the diesel route I would definitely delete the emissions ASAP as they’re nothing but headaches.

Wish they would put the mini dmax in 1/2 tons though, that would be an awesome truck.

I bet they come out with a 1/2 ton diesel, Ford is.

elkguide

WKR
In the 1/2 vs: 3/4 debate.... diesel or gas, my main reason for owning a 3/4 isn't that the 1/2 won't pull, because most all of the newer trucks have great pulling capacity but the last time that I towed with a 1/2 ton and had some idiot from New Jersey pull out in front of me and the 1/2 ton brakes were hating life and I ended up making a new road out across the field and that is why I buy and drive a 3/4 ton truck. When I want/need to stop, I can.

Seth1913

Lil-Rokslider
There is such a large market for that. 30 mpg in half ton sounds awesome. Plus a fairly decent tow capacity. They should honestly consider it for 3/4 tons as well, a small bump in power and their comparable to older diesels.

dotman

WKR
There is such a large market for that. 30 mpg in half ton sounds awesome. Plus a fairly decent tow capacity. They should honestly consider it for 3/4 tons as well, a small bump in power and their comparable to older diesels.

If they had offered it in a heavy 1/2 ton I probably would have gotten one, that little dmax is one efficient motor. I think in a 3/4 ton it would be difficult to get it to be very efficent and tow a load.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
Your last sentence says it all - you want something to last & be durable. I would take a serous look & drive a tundra. Read some of the Tundra forums. I picked up a 2017 double cab & I love it. It isn't 3/4 ton but you also said you don't tow often. Guys using them for towing very heavy boats & RV' s say they are fine.

I had a 3/4 ton chevy when I had a charter fishing boat of over 6000 lbs & it got similar mileage towing as I've read the Tundra does. My mileage ranges from 15 in town to 18 so far on the highway but that's at 75+/- MPH.

My mechanic is a Toyota fiend & works on rigs all the time. He said the 5.7 is rock solid & more reliable than all the other 1/2 ton trucks he deals with.

My 2007 Tacoma has been awesome & has 140k with no major issues. I was going to get a new Tacoma & my mechanic said I should really check out the Tundra. I'm glad I did. It has good clearance & great room for gear. I put a canopy on it & will build a bunk system in the back for truck based hunts.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
My only gripe with my 2015 Tundra Crewmax is the 26 gal fuel tank. They fixed that in 2016...figures. It handles an 8k pound trailer no problems.

Mileage is so-so for what it is, of course I run it in 4wd for 6months out of the year.

I don't know if I read all the replies so someone may have said it but, go drive some trucks. One will speak to you. That's what I ended up doing. All the research was done but when I drove my truck I knew this is what I wanted.

dotman

WKR
Well, seeing how that video is uploaded by a Nissan dealer, I'm gonna take that with about 25 lbs of salt lol...

Haha, well doubt they photoshopped. Cool thing about diesels, they have so much potential if you release their restrictions unlike a gas engine. The EPA has just today started rolling back Obama EPA regs based on emotion and not fact, diesel tunes hopefully will be legal once again.

dotman

WKR
My only gripe with my 2015 Tundra Crewmax is the 26 gal fuel tank. They fixed that in 2016...figures. It handles an 8k pound trailer no problems.

Mileage is so-so for what it is, of course I run it in 4wd for 6months out of the year.

Yeah that’s my only gripe with the Titan as well, makes zero sense to put such a small tank in these things.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
Recently filled the 2017 tundra and put 527 miles on it. 34 gallons which would have left 4 gallons before empty. 150 miles were in 4 wheel drive on the highway. It has really good range compared to previous models with the smaller tanks. If towing the mileage would be closer to 11.

In the fall coming back from an eastern Montana hunting trip a brutal head wind knocked the mileage back to 14ish on cruise control. The truck was brand new & I wasn't used to the shift patterns. I eventually took it off cruise & kept a close eye on the the tach. On cruise to maintain 70+ it was shifting down 2 gears. Hence the hit on mileage. It was also one of the worst sustained winds I ever drove in.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Yeah that’s my only gripe with the Titan as well, makes zero sense to put such a small tank in these things.

Not sure about the new one's but at one time (2009 is the one I have I think) they had a 37gal tank in the pro-4x's. Don't know why they would have discontinued that