Grizzly mistaken for blackbear

TSAMP

WKR
Thought I'd drop this article here. The timing is good. If not a little late for all the spring bear hunters out there.

Suprised to see its a misdemeanor to kill one. It states 10k fine and UP TO 25k additional restitution. What's a grizzly hunt go for these days...

bsnedeker

WKR
already a thread on this

actually, never mind... This is a different story entirely... my bad!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Comments on the actual article seem to be semi ignorant, but I'm not bear expert ..

A young brown could be mistaken for an old color phase brown to the untrained eye

OP
TSAMP

TSAMP

WKR
Oops, that's accidental. 10k fine and a year jail time is too harsh. Fine is enough.
If he reported right away, And it wasn't right off a roadway I'd be inclined to agree with you. Add in the 7 shots. And the picture is getting painted here.
- said from my armchair with 3 minutes worth of research

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
If he reported right away, And it wasn't right off a roadway I'd be inclined to agree with you. Add in the 7 shots. And the picture is getting painted here.
- said from my armchair with 3 minutes worth of research
Yeah, by not reporting he left public property to waste as the hide will fetch less at auction if hair starts to slip.

grfox92

WKR
530 lb bear....guy thinks it is a black bear. It's just another example of shooting before you know the target. You take 5-10 seconds to look that bear over and there is no way you think it is a black bear.
I'm not expert but all the bears I've seen come out if this area are under 200lbs. I just dont understand how he could have thought it was a black bear.

I've seen a fair amount of grizzly bears and it's obvious at 400 yards to the naked eye what your looking at.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
530 lb bear....guy thinks it is a black bear. It's just another example of shooting before you know the target. You take 5-10 seconds to look that bear over and there is no way you think it is a black bear.

Not to defend what that guy did but black bears can get that big, I killed a black bear that weighed 475 and was 7 ft from nose to tail.

Incidentally enough I actually drove that road several times this weekend while we were staying in Cody. Even saw a sow and cub by the east entrance Saturday Afternoon, never once considered it to be a black bear.

ethan

WKR
40 yards from the road??? Was the dude set up on the shoulder of the highway waiting for a bear to waltz by.......?

7mm-08

WKR
Hard to determine from articles and online sources the hunter's level of experience, etc. Delay in reporting does not bode well for him and serves as a potential aggravating factor. It does not appear that there are the number of mitigating factors cited in the recent incident that a first-time bear hunter's son shot a grizzly and he immediately reported the incident to the authorities. No rush to judgement by me on this situation. Innocent until proven guilty is the presumption we all enjoy.

S.Clancy

WKR
Not to defend what that guy did but black bears can get that big, I killed a black bear that weighed 475 and was 7 ft from nose to tail.

Incidentally enough I actually drove that road several times this weekend while we were staying in Cody. Even saw a sow and cub by the east entrance Saturday Afternoon, never once considered it to be a black bear.

There is just not the food base in that area for black bears to get that big. Is it possible, yes, but we are talking incredibly, incredibly rare. Rare enough that you should be like "Holy S*** that is a huge black bear, let's make sure it is a black bear.....nope, grizzly, glad I didn't shoot immediately....".