Guide tip on a elk hunt

wytx

WKR
I'd plan on tipping about $500 to the guide and another $100 to the cook. Wrangler a bit if used, lots of times guides are wranglers too.
Most guides get to know their hunters a bit and realize not all can leave huge tips, they're generally happy with a decent tip if you were a decent person to be around for a week.
They should realize they have to it earn it also, imo.

And yeah, bartenders and waitresses are paid based on the fact they make tips to make up for the low hourly wage.

Brillo

FNG
So if I go on a hunt with 3 other guys and we pay the guide service 5K each we should tip the field guide 2K?
That's a lot of cha-ching and it shows me how far off I am from affording a guided elk hunt. Travel+ license+ outfitter+ misc+++ I know four guys who paid 25K plus license and travel to hunt for a week and shot one raghorn between them. They hunted out of a nice lodge they said. When I go elk hunting I drive my 10 year old truck and stay in my tent and eat out of a cooler. Walk my own butt up the hill. IF I can get an overpriced license. Call me stupid!

Acharenio

FNG
Lots of numbers and theories out their. I don't understand the whole tipping thing? Where do you start and where do you stop? Do you tip your grocery store cashier, auto mechanic, airline pilot,waitress,plumber,bartender?? They are all in the customer service industry
maybe their salary is very low and count on tips to make a living, same with bartenders and servers, their hourly wage is low that's why they count on the tips, not long ago here in arizona tip employes hourly wage was $2.13 an hour now is $ 11.35 nobody can make a living on those wages, that is why you have to tip some people for their services. hope you understand.

Last edited: