Gunsmith San Francisco Bay area

amassi

WKR
The lesson here is don’t fix what isn’t broken
How many rounds have you shot since getting it back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
The lesson here is don’t fix what isn’t broken
How many rounds have you shot since getting it back?

Agreed. Maybe about 500. Maybe another 500 will fix the issue lol

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
It's just super annoying to have it jam on me and have to dig the empty cartridge out. I am going to rack it a shit ton of times tonight after I work on some stuff that other people have mentioned and see what that does to it.

MattB

WKR
If you want to address this yourself, I would be more inclined to use a little lapping compound on the friction points. Sandpaper sounds like a bad idea for a couple reasons (can’t keep the angles correct, might create rough spots if too low a grit is used.

I would at a minimum call the people who ceracote'd it for you and get their input, Beyond that, taking it to a gunsmith would be a better choice.

Last edited:

def90

WKR
Anyone know of a trusty gunsmith in the San Francisco Bay area? I am having trouble with my glock. Don't make fun of me, but I had it cerakoted and now it jams on me. Every single component was removed and only the slide and frame were cerakoted but I don't know where the issue might be. I've tried sanding the inside but it has done nothing. First and last time I cerakote a firearm. It does look bad ass though you can't tell me it doesn't lol

The Cerakote likely has nothing to do with it. Something wasn’t put back together quite right.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
Call Nathan at Bay Area Gunsmithing in Novato. Great guy and great work.
Great thank you! There's a guy on here that is going to call me to walk me through some steps that may help. If it doesn't work I'll definitely try this place. I know have two places to call. One in Walnut Creek too. I do believe I called the Walnut Creek person once for another reason and I never got a response I think. We'll see. Thank you again though!

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
The Cerakote likely has nothing to do with it. Something wasn’t put back together quite right.
That's what I thought but I watched some videos and I've taken it fully apart twice now. Also, it sounds very different when racking it when compared to two other glocks. It definitely sounds like there is some rubbing.

Lastly, a friend's coworker inspected it and he's very experienced with firearms and told me where he thinks the cerakote was too thick. We didn't talk for long as he was in a hurry though. I'll definitely be taking it apart again tomorrow one more time though.

Is this Calguns??

Thought I clicked the wrong app on Tapatalk for a minute.

I can’t help for a smith in the Bay Area. There used to be a couple but most have gone underground.

amassi

WKR
That's what I thought but I watched some videos and I've taken it fully apart twice now. Also, it sounds very different when racking it when compared to two other glocks. It definitely sounds like there is some rubbing.

Lastly, a friend's coworker inspected it and he's very experienced with firearms and told me where he thinks the cerakote was too thick. We didn't talk for long as he was in a hurry though. I'll definitely be taking it apart again tomorrow one more time though.

Did your shoot it prior to the red dot and mill work?
Wonder if you need a different recoil spring since you removed muzzle weight and added weight to the rear.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
Did your shoot it prior to the red dot and mill work?
Wonder if you need a different recoil spring since you removed muzzle weight and added weight to the rear.

I actually didn't shoot it. But wouldn't it shoot normal if I removed the red dot? Because I don't always have it on. I didn't get to work on it today like I wanted it. I will soon though.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
What part of the Bay Area? Most people immediately think of shitfrancisco. Get into the far east bay and there are some options.

amassi

WKR
Gotcha suppose it would
Not my expertise
I’ve not added a red dot on a Glock
I have had milled slides be a pita

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
Gotcha suppose it would
Not my expertise
I’ve not added a red dot on a Glock
I have had milled slides be a pita

That's interesting. I have the same cutouts as a friend of mine and his shoot fine. So I assume it has to be the cerakote. I will get it fixed soon enough and will update you guys

Beendare

WKR
Good call amassi,

Milled slides….. optics…… adding Cerakote…..all upset the ratio of slide and spring weight.

The guys that are really good with these mods balance the weight taken off the slide to make up for the added weight of the optic.

Its a strong possibility that is the issue…best to take it to a Glock certified armorer before you do any more damage.

Gents, respectfully, the optic and slide cuts are non-issues here. It's understandable to suspect them, but let me explain why it's not likely:

The milled out portions of the slide likely exceed the weight of the optic, so it balances out. That's a lot of steel removed, and if anything it would increase the slide's reward velocity. People have been mounting red-dots to these handguns for roughly a decade with and without slide cuts, and it just doesn't cause any meaningful change in slide velocities impacting reliability.

When slide milling is a problem, it's generally because it opens up the gun's friction surfaces to friction contaminants (ie, sand, dust, EDC lint, etc). Or, when it's taken to extremes, it can take so much mass out of the slide that it may have trouble retaining enough energy and momentum during the forward stroke to overcome the resistance in stripping a round off the mag and then chamber effectively.

What the OP's described is mostly failure to eject, which means insufficient energy/velocity on the backstroke. Most of the additional FTFs he mentions are likely to be the result of insufficient forward energy, because not enough was applied to the recoil spring to begin with during the backstroke. You generally see this type of malfunction (FTEs) when there is either too little energy from the shot (ie, light ammo, heavily compensated race pistols, etc), or too much resistance from friction or springs. If he's shooting normal factory ammo, with his factory recoil spring assembly, then there's an excess of friction somewhere in the gun.

He also says he's lubed the gun and it still has these problems, and has repeatedly checked to ensure the gun was reassembled properly. Those would definitely be the first couple of standard things to double-check, so he sounds good-to-go there. All combined, the most likely culprit here is the cerakote job. It's easy to apply a little in excess, and if it's hanging to dry from the front, a little excess can flow right into the places where the locking lug surfaces meet up with the barrel hood. It certainly could be something else causing the malfunctions, but in one way or another that slide is just not coming back with sufficient velocity.