Head stamped starline vs resized lapua vs mixed lot lapua

eric1115

WKR
I'm looking at doing a 243AI, and trying to decide what brass to get (planning on 200-300 pieces, hoping for one and done for the life of the barrel).

Currently starline is available, and affordable.

Lapua 243 is out of stock everywhere (seems like maybe for good or at least going to be a while) except 100 here and there, no way to get same lot. How consistent is it lot to lot?

Other option is to get Lapua 260 brass and resize. How much of a pain is this? Haven't decided on dies yet; is this much easier with a particular die set (bushing vs standard)?

Or could wait to see if Peterson comes back in stock sometime soon.

While we're here, any other insights are welcome. This will be a step forward both in brass and process/dies for me. I'm about 5 years into handloading, but it's all been fairly standard stuff (.223, .308, 7RM, 7mm-08, etc). All has been with Hornady, Nosler type brass, and Hornady dies. Since I've got to spring for something different than run of the mill rcbs/Hornady for the Ackley chamber, I'm trying to figure out whether the expensive Redding dies are worth the cost difference vs the basic Redding dies. I've been happy with the ammo I've loaded using my Hornady dies.

Let's hear it! What do you wish you had known when you were at my current stage?

MHWASH

WKR
For my 22-250AI I used 200 pieces of Lapua. Everything went very smooth. I've decided fireforming just takes too long to fire through the virgin brass. I bought Peterson 280AI brass for a future project.

If I were in your shoes, I'd buy 100 Starline and wait for Lapua. I'n currently using Starline in my 308, but I've only fired 50 or so.

Northpark

WKR
Depends on what the use of the rifle is? If this is a long range precision rig then yes I’d suggest the higher end dies if it’s a normal range hunting rifle standard Redding dies are pretty good. As to the brass question I’ve actually had really good luck with starline brass in my 7-08ai and my .243win with a 7 twist barrel. My .243 is set up for long range and will consistently shoot in the .3s with starline brass and 105gr Berger VLDs.

Now since you’re messing with an ai cartridge for the first time I’d say having 200-300 pieces of brass to fireform before you can even start load development is going to burn a ton of barrel life in a .243 ai. I might suggest 50-100 pieces (unless this is a comp gun where you need 300 pieces in which case I’d suggest a different cartridge) so you can fireform and do load work up without torching a full half your barrel life. I suppose unless you don’t mind replacing the barrel with another .243ai barrel in about 800 rounds.

drew23

FNG
Peterson didn't run any 243 last year (that's why it's out everywhere) but, they supposedly have it scheduled for this year.

I got a bag of Peterson 260 Rem SRP and it's done good so far resized to 243. I also have 100pcs of Starline that I used before I bought the Peterson. The Starline is my hunting brass and what I lost for my daughter's H&R Handi.

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

Axlrod

WKR
I would agree with 100 pieces is plenty. Adjust your resize die to push the shoulder back enough to close a stripped bolt, and it will last.

I couldn't find Lapua for my 243 AI at first, so I bought 50 Hornady. It shot really well, primer pockets don't last quite as long as Lapua though.
You need to fireform anyway, so if you want Lapua brass, you can buy Lapua 243 ammo and shoot it. It is avail if you look around.

Peterson didn't run any 243 last year (that's why it's out everywhere) but, they supposedly have it scheduled for this year.

Early to mid December I got a response from Peterson on 243 brass. Supposedly they had just done a run of it. I believe he said it was the first run in 3 years. Anyway he said it was just going through QC.

drew23

FNG
Early to mid December I got a response from Peterson on 243 brass. Supposedly they had just done a run of it. I believe he said it was the first run in 3 years. Anyway he said it was just going through QC.
Awesome. Thought he said they weren't running it until 2024. They must have ran it early or he meant it would be ready in 2024. Good news though. I wonder if they ran LRP and SRP?

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

wyosam

WKR
200 pieces of brass will easily last the life of the barrel if you’re taking care of it (ie not running over pressure).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TaperPin

WKR
I’ve heard at least one person say simply running 260 brass through the 243 die was problem free - necks didn’t need to be turned and length was very close.

Lapua is generally a little harder than Peterson, although you can’t go wrong with either.

Regular cheap RCBS dies are all you need for a 1/2 moa gun, but the Redding dies are generally reguarded as better made.