Help choosing gunsmith

OP
K
1702743113381-jpeg.642965

That’s how I used to do it, now I don’t do any work with client parts unless they are established clients I like. Others I’ve worked for had allowances in the contract for various parts - if you want to supply your own, then the allowance is taken off, but the allowance doesn’t refund the entire amount and accomplishes the same thing as my markup.

My suppliers are reliable and the parts work - something bought used is the worst - maybe it works maybe it doesn’t and if defective it can’t be returned so extra work goes into fixing it.

Ebay is completely full of defective parts of all kinds. Anything bought retail with an open box is highly likely to be missing a part. Even unopened boxes are a hassle - one client had parts purchased over a year ago and once opened and found to be damaged the supplier wouldn‘t refund or exchange it. Sizes are often purchased wrong.

There are guys that take any and all parts and never up charge for it, because they need the work, or their hourly rate is elevated to cover it. Those of us that are plenty busy with good projects would lose money and have to slow down the schedule just by allowing customer supplied stuff.
To best of my knowledge all parts chosen at this point are very reputable. With all being new. Most definitely not used. Maybe I’m seeing this wrong. But it would seem it all boils down to smiths profit margin. With smith using his know parts that he can get better deals on than public consumer. Not to say his recipe doesn’t work. His works well with least amount of headaches and most profit possible. At the end of the day it seems to me that it turns into no more than a standard assembly line. That’s sugar coated with title of custom gun. Don’t claim to be expert of firearms and especially custom work. I’m sure most here have forgotten more than I will ever know. This is my first attempt at building custom rifle. Just what I’m reading between the lines. Would all builders fall under this criteria? Or am I looking at this completely wrong??

Lawnboi

WKR
There are smiths that will hang you out to dry even if you pay for all the parts through them. I had this happen on my first build, and why I will thoroughly vet (not just on rokslide) a gunsmith from here on out.

I did exactly as you are on a build through LRI. They did an awesome job. Mine was a defiance/proof/manners bdl build.

Your choice in parts is far from what I choose but I don’t see a reason that won’t make a nice rifle.

OP
K
There are smiths that will hang you out to dry even if you pay for all the parts through them. I had this happen on my first build, and why I will thoroughly vet (not just on rokslide) a gunsmith from here on out.

I did exactly as you are on a build through LRI. They did an awesome job. Mine was a defiance/proof/manners bdl build.

Your choice in parts is far from what I choose but I don’t see a reason that won’t make a nice rifle.
I’m not seeing lotta difference in parts you listed??

TaperPin

WKR
1702743113381-jpeg.642965

To best of my knowledge all parts chosen at this point are very reputable. With all being new. Most definitely not used. Maybe I’m seeing this wrong. But it would seem it all boils down to smiths profit margin. With smith using his know parts that he can get better deals on than public consumer. Not to say his recipe doesn’t work. His works well with least amount of headaches and most profit possible. At the end of the day it seems to me that it turns into no more than a standard assembly line. That’s sugar coated with title of custom gun. Don’t claim to be expert of firearms and especially custom work. I’m sure most here have forgotten more than I will ever know. This is my first attempt at building custom rifle. Just what I’m reading between the lines. Would all builders fall under this criteria? Or am I looking at this completely wrong??
You’ll be fine. I would do the same thing you’re doing - it’s fun gathering the parts. Just look out for the things I’ve mentioned so extra costs don’t catch you off guard.

🙂

OP
K
Appreciate the insight. Need all help I can get. Lol. Lemme ask one more question. For strictly hunting purposes. First or Second focal plane? Always had second. Hard to find a standard duplex reticle in sfp. Where as your magnification setting doesn’t matter. First focal be fine but on low power can reticle be seen? Basically looking for reticle that’s not crazy busy. Optics I been considering are NF NX8 - Steiner Predator 8 - Zeiss. Had Leupolds for long time. Vx6 hd has given me some issues. And to be honest it very well could be me. With this canted reticle problem. Anyways.. would love any and all feedback. Thanks

I don’t know if this is an issue with the 7 PRC like it is with the 6.5 and 300. But I would check to see if clickers are an issue with the 7 also. If they are I would make sure whatever smith you use is familiar with the issue and uses an AW spec reamer.

OP
K
I don’t know if this is an issue with the 7 PRC like it is with the 6.5 and 300. But I would check to see if clickers are an issue with the 7 also. If they are I would make sure whatever smith you use is familiar with the issue and uses an AW spec reamer.
Thx I will make note of this.