WKR
Here is everything I’ve tried:

-lowa tibet
-lowa ranger
-crispi Wyoming
-hanwag alverstone
-salewa (can’t remember model)
-Solomon quest

I’m a size 14 and the only boots I’ve come close with are the Solomon’s but even with them if I don’t pretape they destroy my heels.

I’ve tried with and without liners but no difference.

I realize we all have different feet so I don’t expect anyone to steer me towards the perfect boot but I would like some ideas of boots because I def think my feet prefer a more flexible boot like the Solomon’s. So hoping for some suggestions of similar flex (minus any in the list above)?

N8H

FNG
I've been using g a pair of solomon quests for about a year and a half. They were pretty spendy for my college budget, but after my last 2 pairs of boots died before making it to the year mark, I decided I needed to get something better quality. Sadly, the quests were the wrong choice. I should have thrown them away several months ago. They seemed so well built, but both boots split on the inside and outside...

They were a little too heavy for my liking, caused a wierd pain in my foot if not cinched down just right, and made my feet pretty warm, so I'm only so torn up. But for a $230 boot I expected more.

Everyone I know wears lowa Tibets or crispis of a similar variety...I think thats where I'm headed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240226_184321_Chrome~3.jpg
    Screenshot_20240226_184321_Chrome~3.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 17
I width and volume of your foot makes a huge difference on how a boot works. If the laces can't keep your foot locked in place, your heel will slip. A thicker insole might be a help. Same with matching the heel cup of the boot. A loose heel cup will allow heel lift. Manufacturers have different lasts so try to identify which last will be a better match for your foot. I recommend calling the manufacturer customer service and getting their recommendations for which products they sell that might fit your foot profile. I think some of the Crispi models you listed are their wider last. I have a narrow, low volume foot but the older Salomon 4d fit well. But I can't say about the updated model. Measure you foot with a Brannock device or a cloth measuring tape. Length, width and circumference at the arch might help to narrow down your search.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Jon_G

WKR
Correct me if I'm wrong but it sort of sounds like a good hiking boot works best for you no? If so, have you given a pair or Danner trail 2650s a look? If those are too flexible then I am way off. If you're dead set on Salomon's message me and I'll see if I can still access the 40% discount I had from Solomon. I won't make any money from getting them to you.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
The five Crispi I tried fit the same but most brands are very inconsistent between models (talking about you salewa). Zamberlan has a few different fit profiles that should help you narrow down their lineup. Asolo have a tight heel on most models but are very narrow which probably won’t work if Salomon are your front runners.

Merrell Rogue hiker felt a lot like the Salomon quest in the foot box but more supportive in the arch and heel. Also doesn’t have the ugly cladding making it look like the first generation Chevy avalanche.

Crispi laponnia is pretty flexible.

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
Correct me if I'm wrong but it sort of sounds like a good hiking boot works best for you no? If so, have you given a pair or Danner trail 2650s a look? If those are too flexible then I am way off. If you're dead set on Salomon's message me and I'll see if I can still access the 40% discount I had from Solomon. I won't make any money from getting them to you.

Yeah I think a boot with more flex is far better for my particular foot. I’m mostly a day hunter with occasional need to pack weight so I try to keep my boots setup for the 95% of my hunting.

Also I don’t like stiff boots AT ALL in flatlands and I wear my Solomon’s turkey hunting pretty regularly.

TaperPin

WKR
If those boots seem a little more roomy than they should be (why your feet are moving around and the heal lift) try something a little more snug like a Asolo Fugitive. It’s not super flexible, but fits some feet well.