Help me put this rifle on a diet

Most of these have been said above but this is what I would do and the order I would do it.
Ditch Folder
Ditch Bag Rider
Lighter Grip
Polymer 3-rd magazine
Ditch Suppressor for SRS Ti Chub Brake(can't believe I'm saying this because I love hunting suppressed but you will pretty much always have time for earpro when sheep hunting.)
Replace Chassis with Carbon stock
Lighter Scope

You really may be better served to just get a good shooting lightweight rifle.

Another option would be to borrow a lightweight rifle. I bet there's a huge number of people on here who would happily loan you their $4,000+ custom rifle for the chance to get a little sheep blood on it. I know I would.

It's ironic, but when the Ultralight Lunatics @StupidLightweight and @JBradley500 are suggesting you leave it alone and just go ahead and hump that 10#'er on your sheep hunt...well, maybe there's something to that.

Apparently you already know it's a proven performer for you. After a bunch of changes it may or may not be. For a really important hunt, a heavy rifle you -know- you shoot well is better, IMO, than a lightweight, or even a lightened rifle you don't know you'll shoot well.

Maybe just spend the money you would on making changes to your already proven rifle on lightweight rifle. Shoot with it for awhile and if it you're confident with it, great, take it. If not, take that beast and get your ram.

OP, the only thing I might add to what others have suggested, is to find the right questions before trying to find the right answers. It's a satisfying thought exercise if nothing else.

A couple that come to mind...

Are you trying to have an overall lightest possible hunt setup, or are you focusing on the rifle before focusing on lightening up other gear first? What's the priority? For example, DoD did a study that showed every 1lb of weight in boot construction equated to carrying around something like 7-8lbs on your back, in terms of energy expenditure.

Also, if you lighten up this 7PRC, how many rounds can you honestly put downrange between the time the mods are done and the time you head out to your hunt? The recoil impulse and muzzle blast will be different, and possibly some of the gun's geometry, and that practice matters. 1-2 pounds in rifle weight makes a big difference in the experience with a cartridge recoiling at 7PRC levels.

I’m going ultra budget for you. Howa mini action 6arc with an Arken on top. Walk off the mountain like a boss and have money left over for taxidermy.

Last edited:
Back