Hilleberg Mesh inner tents

Anyone ever bought a mesh inner for their Hilleberg?

I impulse bought an Atko last year and I freaking love it! But Memorial Day it was pretty dang warm inside of it.

I had a Borah Bivy to use with a Sheep Tarp and it worked good, but I've never had to weather a storm in a bivy.

A mesh inner costs just about as much as a bivy like the EE recon. This a pretty good option for summer use?

Thanks

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

AKDoc

WKR
I hope you get several responses from people who have swapped-out their Hilleberg inner-tents with the mesh liner...I'm curious about their experiences as well. I'm anticipating that you might get mixed responses because any reduction in the inside temperature will also be significantly dependent on the venting design of that model tent.

I'm sure you already are well aware that Hilleberg has multiple designs and venting variations, and I've heard from a couple people that their particular model/design has condensation challenges. I have a Staika that I absolutely love. I have used it a lot for the past five years, and it is extremely well vented and has NEVER had any condensation problems.

Too bad the mesh inner doesn't drop the net weight of the tent. That said, I'd take it any day over a bivy in a storm...especially up here!

OP
TradLife406
Yeah condensation is an issue with the Atko. Steven Drake runs one and on his vlog he said he actually takes a sponge to soak dry his walls in the morning. But the 3lb weight and being able to pitch it just about anywhere is sure nice!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Just get a Borah bivy and use it inside instead of the mesh inner. Be lighter and give you more storage space. Be like a Hille floorless.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah condensation is an issue with the Atko. Steven Drake runs one and on his vlog he said he actually takes a sponge to soak dry his walls in the morning. But the 3lb weight and being able to pitch it just about anywhere is sure nice!

I would say go for it. A bivy might make you feel claustrophobic, even more so than the akto, which is small enough. Even if the net weight drops, you probably have better ventilation and solid bug protection for when its warm, plus the outer tent if there is high chance of rain.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The mesh inner weighs more than the regular inner. The option Sneaky has is very good, the ultralight bivy and just the fly of the Akto. It would give you more useable space.

The mesh inner weighs more than the regular inner. The option Sneaky has is very good, the ultralight bivy and just the fly of the Akto. It would give you more useable space.
How does it give more usable space when the bivy is smaller than the mesh inner?

sneaky

"DADDY"
How does it give more usable space when the bivy is smaller than the mesh inner?

More space for gear inside. More head room without the inner, more useable length as you can put the bivy however you want. Pretty simple.

More space for gear inside. More head room without the inner, more useable length as you can put the bivy however you want. Pretty simple.

Ok, I was thinking about the body bag scenario of when you are laying down and have the mesh a few inches from your face

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If your Bobby is smaller than the inner tent/mesh, then you would have more left over space under the main tent/fly.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would only close up the bivy if the bugs were out of control. Those things suck long term lol. But, with using the outer tent you can unzip it and weather some pretty bad weather without getting claustrophobic.
Ok, I was thinking about the body bag scenario of when you are laying down and have the mesh a few inches from your face

I would only close up the bivy if the bugs were out of control. Those things suck long term lol. But, with using the outer tent you can unzip it and weather some pretty bad weather without getting claustrophobic.

Yeah, I was thinking more about the bug factor. For non buggy conditions ditching even the bivy might be the way to go. I hear the akto with no inner is spacious for one

BRWNBR

WKR
As bad as the condensation is inside my enan no way I’d take out the tent body unless I replaced it with the mesh body. The inside of my fly is so wet in the mornings I wouldn’t trust storing gear in there, anything touching a wall would get soaked, and a lot would touch the wall. Come to think of it. I won’t even put me inside that tent anymore. If I absolutly am backed up against the wall and need a tent I will use it. Otherwise I swapped it out for a dry tent.

As bad as the condensation is inside my enan no way I’d take out the tent body unless I replaced it with the mesh body. The inside of my fly is so wet in the mornings I wouldn’t trust storing gear in there, anything touching a wall would get soaked, and a lot would touch the wall. Come to think of it. I won’t even put me inside that tent anymore. If I absolutly am backed up against the wall and need a tent I will use it. Otherwise I swapped it out for a dry tent.
I think you alone with all your posts about your horrible experience with the enan has ensured that I will never get one. Like, I wont even consider it because I always think, "yeah, that alaska guide from rokslide got soaked.... Nah, I'll pass" lol

BRWNBR

WKR
Lol I wish I could convey my dismay when hilleberg emailed me back about the issue and said they use trash bags and towels inside their enan tents!! I about fell off my chair!!

Correction, rain jackets. Found their email.

“When it is humid we always zip up our Gore-Tex jackets and pull them on to the bottom of the sleeping bags to prevent them from getting moist. We also always carry a rag to wipe away the wetness when needed.”
From the keyboard of hilleberg.

Lol I wish I could convey my dismay when hilleberg emailed me back about the issue and said they use trash bags and towels inside their enan tents!! I about fell off my chair!!

Correction, rain jackets. Found their email.

“When it is humid we always zip up our Gore-Tex jackets and pull them on to the bottom of the sleeping bags to prevent them from getting moist. We also always carry a rag to wipe away the wetness when needed.”
From the keyboard of hilleberg.
Yeah, sounds like in all the things they wanted to achieve with that design, they favored say, weather protection over ventilation. I get it, and many people do like and use that tent, but perhaps not the best when you are in your situation, where you really wont have the opportunity to dry out. Then you are protected from weather outside only to be exposed INSIDE LOL.

OP
TradLife406
Yeah she does get moist inside. But for a four season 3lb tent it works pretty dang well. It's my "too lazy to pack the Sawtooth tent/too cold for a UL Bivy and tarp shelter". Steven Drake packs a sponge for his. It's a bad deal. It's got vents on the front and back but they don't do much. Even if you leave the mesh window open on the inner and crack open the outer door it gets moist. Not sure if the Soulo gets this way or not.

BRWNBR

WKR
I cut out my ends of the tent and replaced with a larger mesh size to help airflow. Their “mesh” door and ends actually hold water.
I need a shamwow.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Put me in the camp that hillebergs vent horribly for me. I think they likely excel best in temps below freezing where getting wet isn't much of an issue....but in my experience in damp environments things get clammy in a hurry.