Hitting low

holmesac89

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some help in figuring out what is going wrong with my shots recently. Two things which sound connected (maybe they are) but it doesn't seem like they are to me. Biggest problem, I will go months shooting well and then I suddenly starting hitting 6 inches low every 2-3 shots. The shots don't feel any different than my other shots. In fact the shots feel really good...until I watch the arrow hit way low.

Second issue, which has been an issue for me for years, my pin will float and then my bow arm suddenly drops enough that my pin completely goes off target. I have to get back on target and start the process over again. This causes major anxiety and I always feel like I'm racing for my release to go off before my arm drops again. This has been an issue for me for years and I can feel it when it's happening. These two issues do not seem to coincide with one another but maybe I'm wrong. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Your impact issue sounds like a grip issue, basically mostly shooting low wrist, but then sometimes high wrist and the bow isn't pushed up at the shot.

The other issue sounds like target panic. Need to get your brain comfortable with the process. Shooting close, making it really easy to hold in a big bullseye really helped me. Like 10 yards. Gotta get your brain to relax.

Marble

WKR
Things I would consider. How added weight is on the bow. If I have a lot of weight on there, I might shift it around or reduce it.

Is my draw length a little long?

Are these shots happening on my first, 2nd or last shot? If I am tired, mentally or physically, I tend to shoot low and I tend to shoot low the more tired I get.

Was I pulling through the shot each time? Maybe in creeping off my back wall a little?

After I make a bad shot, I can almost always tell you what I did wrong.

I have had timing issues cause similar things. But what I've learned over the years is it usually isn't the bow.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
H

holmesac89

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys keep it coming!! It has been maddening. Especially so close to season.

Marble

WKR
Thanks guys keep it coming!! It has been maddening. Especially so close to season.
Have someone slow motion video you shooting. Sometimes, it shows you stuff (pre-ignition movements) you have no idea you were doing.

It's been a very effective tool for all shooting. People can actually see themselves doing something and for whatever reason it helps them correct a bad habit.

There is an AP called Coaches eye I used to use. I can go frame by frame and show people what they are doing.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
You could be losing pressure and collapsing. Pretty common with high let off. Or you could have too much weight in the front. You can add tear weight to try to combat that, or take weight off the front.

DanimalW

WKR
Sometimes I’ll start dropping my bow arm a little bit at the shot to watch my arrow and start grouping low at longer distances. It’s as simple as remembering to follow through more on the shot. Try to pay attention to that first as this is the easiest correction.

Sounds like classic target panic to me. I struggle mightily at times. Look up and try blank bale shooting. It helps. Basically you don't really aim and just focus on shot execution.

Also, when shooting at a target, once at full draw and on target, 100% of your focus needs to be on where you want the arrow to hit, not the pin. burn a hole in the target with your eye and start your process, i.e. pull through.

Look up Joel Turner and the shot IQ stuff. He does a great job. Course is expensive and I haven't done it yet, but he has a lot of stuff on youtube to whet your whistle. I am really considering taking the course or doing a live seminar with him.

OP
H

holmesac89

Lil-Rokslider
Your impact issue sounds like a grip issue, basically mostly shooting low wrist, but then sometimes high wrist and the bow isn't pushed up at the shot.

The other issue sounds like target panic. Need to get your brain comfortable with the process. Shooting close, making it really easy to hold in a big bullseye really helped me. Like 10 yards. Gotta get your brain to relax.
Last night and this morning I've been more mindful of wrist position and so far I haven't had a single shot hit more than an inch low. Thanks!!

tdoublev

FNG
Definitely sounds like target panic. Especially after you mentioned falling low before the shot and having 'anxiety' trying to get it back. Target panic never really goes away. Sounds like you normally have a handle on it, but it can always show its ugly head. As they suggested above, burn a hole staring where you want to hit, and not where the pin is. Take some time practicing that and telling yourself you do not care about where it hits before you even draw that shot back. The results might surprise you.

I wouldn't go down a rabbit hole of trying to tweak form. You could film yourself to try and catch these mis-steps on camera but I think you'd find you're flinching a little bit on those shots. Also don't pull the bow away trying to watch where it lands.

87TT

WKR
That’s the biggest thing, putting too much pressure on yourself, creating target panic. I have caught my self pressing my nose on the string while over thinking the other stuff and any pressure on the string with my nose will cause me to shoot low.

OP
H

holmesac89

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the input guys! Already feel like its helped and its good to know I'm not alone in having some of these issues!