Hornady any good?

tony

WKR
Midsouth has a great deal on a Hornday single stage kit with an ultra sonic cleaner for less than $400.00.
Been wanting to get some gear now that I have some primers.

Harvey_NW

WKR
I haven't used the Hornady press but I prefer their dies and doubt there would be any issue with it. The only thing about that kit I would be cautious about is the cheap electronic scale won't be very accurate, and the powder throw won't be very consistent with chunkier extruded powders. Might need to pick up a beam scale to double check charges if you load on the hot side.

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend against the kit. Figure out a press you want and piece together what you need to comfortably load. You will start replacing most everything besides the press likely in short order and will save over the long run.

cjcavinaw

FNG
I have the kit and it did a great job getting me into reloading. You'll end up upgrading almost everything in it minus the press but it gets you going

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

reloading kits tend to be worse than saddle hunting kits in terms of bogging you down with stuff that most experienced people don't actually like. To actually reload, you need:

press
dies
shell plate/case holder
chamfer/deburring tool
calipers
powder scale
powder funnel
components
shell tray
case lube

for most bottelneck cartridges, you'll also want a case trimmer. Everything else is extra, and each of those tools has a spectrum of performance and cost. mass producing top quality ammo in short periods of times forces you into increasingly expensive equipment.

the set up muleyfever is selling looks like a reasonable entry kit with a few extras that are in the nice to have category (hand primer, powder measures).

I have a Hornady LnL single stage press, I use it for brass prep: decapping, swaging, sizing, etc, and a Co-ax for seating. I can’t speak to the kit but the press itself is great. Feels very sturdy and well-made. The bushings can be kind of annoying, especially for bullet pulling, as the die unlocks the bushing when I unlock it to release the bullet. But I think it’s a very well-made press.

Unckebob

WKR
I liked my Hornady press quite a bit and was a moron for trying to upgrade it. The only thing in the kit that I thought was really bad was the electronic scale.

If you have to trim bottleneck cartridges a lot, I would add a case prep center to my budget.

Wrench

WKR
If you have nothing and want to get in the game, I'd go straight to the forster co ax. There's no press shy of a arbor that will produce better ammo AND you'll never need a shell plate, never need qc bushings and never put less effort into the operation. ... it literally doesn't need a handle.

I'd then look at a beam scale, powder throw and trickler, the lyman funnel with inserts and rock on. At some point add something like the FA case prep center.

It will cost you a little more up front, but save you a pile long term and get better results.