Hornady CX experiences?

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
Loaded some 280AI 160 GR CX and harvested an antelope doe yesterday. The exit was about 1.5-2 inch in diameter and very little blood shot. Was a 450 yard shot which thought was a miss as could see the impact behind her on the exit. Hit the the joint of the front shoulder on the exit. She did a back flip after about 5 seconds and then knew was a good hit. Love the bullet as super accurate and less blood shot but not the typical response to a hit one would see. Always been an Accubond guy so kinda confused on the future with this bullet. Will attach photos of exit and inside of shoulder on exit side. Also, attached photo of brothers exit with 270wsm 140 Accubond on antelope doe at same location on front shoulder out of the same herd.
That’s helpful, thanks for posting

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
I can say the Hornady factory 160 cx 7prc ammo sucks in my rifle as well as friends. The ELDX shoot lights out as well as the ELDM but both suck, in my humble opinion for elk. It’s on me as I rolled the dice not being a re loader. Federal terminal ascents can’t get here fast enough.
I am getting .6” groups with ELDX and 2” groups with flyers on the cx. My barrel only has about 25 rounds down it though.
What rifle do you have?

Flea

FNG
Curious what folks are doing for seating depth. I know Barnes recommends 50 thousandths off for their TTSX and LRX bullets. I called Hornady and the rep told me their CX’s pretty tolerant and recommend 20 to 50 thousandths off the lands. Loading for a new 7 PRC I put together.

So far I’ve only loaded to test for pressure. Started at 62 grains of H1000 and loaded up to 71 grains. Book max is 69.5 and I ended up with 3030 FPS out of a 20 inch Bartlein carbon. This was with once fired Hornady brass 160 grain CXs loaded 20 thou off the lands. Pressure signs started near max but weren’t real pronounced on the brass.

Going to drop back down to around 68ish and go from there but wondering if 20 thou is too close.

The Guide

WKR
I have a 6.5CM Tikka that shoots the 120CX very well and a 270 WSM Tikka that shoots the 130 CX excellently. Results on game have been very positive without any issues. I have seen 100% pass through on every shot. Caliber sized hole on entrance and 1.5x Caliber exit if no bone is hit. If bone is hit on exit, you will see a 1.5 to 2 inch exit hole. Lungs generally have a hole and are bloodshot but not liquefied like a fragmenting bullet. I will continue to use them on specifically guns that are accurate with them or guns I might go hunt California hogs with some buddies.

Jay

dryfly101

Lil-Rokslider
I'm impressed with the 190cx so far. Out of my 300prc, here is the recovered bullet with impact velocity around 2200 and energy around 2100. Single shot, double lung, great performance.
577ce83aaff20ad34a795bd5fa76915d.jpg

Snailz

FNG
I can say the Hornady factory 160 cx 7prc ammo sucks in my rifle as well as friends. The ELDX shoot lights out as well as the ELDM but both suck, in my humble opinion for elk. It’s on me as I rolled the dice not being a re loader. Federal terminal ascents can’t get here fast enough.
I am getting .6” groups with ELDX and 2” groups with flyers on the cx. My barrel only has about 25 rounds down it though.
I’d consider giving the gun a good cleaning and trying the Outfitter again. Some monos are reported to get pissy when they’re shot after jacketed bullets. The CX has a lot of bearing surface so that may be the case. Consider the first three shot group a fouler group and send another 3-5. If it’s still not grouping then it’s a definitive dud.

Randy11

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone had experience with the 139 at lower velocities?

I had iffy results with 140 etips out of my 7-08, and my rifle seems to like the CX.

I purchased a new 300 PRC from Boring Rifles this summer. It loves the 190 CX in the factory Outfitter. If I’m on my game, I can shoot a half MOA and have done so out to 400 yards.

I shot a large mule deer at 360 yards. Clean pass through after a double lung. The buck made it about 20 yards (downhill). Entrance and exit were clean, similar to what has been reported in this thread.

Photo of exit attached.

Attachments

• IMG_1379.jpeg
    IMG_1379.jpeg
    406.2 KB · Views: 18

ElkPRC

Lil-Rokslider
I highly highly suggest getting 100-150 rounds minimum on your barrel, and cleaning fully at regular intervals, mostly after each range session(20-40 rounds) and try the ammo again.

Could still shoot like shit, but I can promise you that a lot will change in the barrel from 20 rounds to 200 rounds and it could make a specific chambering worse or better by a lot.

Don’t even pay attention to groups velocity etc until you have atleast that many rounds down the barrel.