Hot Tub?

I keep mine at 104, except in the summer. I turn it down to 90 then. I like to keep it full and operating year round, even if we don’t use it in the summer. If you don’t know how to work on them, they can be a real pita and expensive.

11boo

WKR
We would love to get one, but have heard of so many bad maintenance stories.

Is there such a thing as an economical model that won’t break the bank, and last enough to get use out of?
I don’t know. Lots of horror stories.
My first was a jacuzzi brand. It was small, and awesome. All relay controled so easy for me as an electrician to fix, but it never broke. 20 years, a couple covers and one flow switch.

i got a deal on a fairly new, used, huge tub and decided to go with it for the leg room, recliner, blah blah. Really nice, and trouble free .

used was the way for me, I think 3500 for mine. But I could probably fix anything needed, if needed.

as.ks.ak

WKR
My in-laws wanted to upgrade theirs and not deal with a leaking union…I spent $150 in parts to have redundancy for all the plumbing in the entire hot tub…has been an amazing investment.

No ragerts.

Dumply

FNG
Used to work at a place in high school that sold one of the top brands. The 104 temp is a government mandated safety feature. That being said, if you have electrical knowledge you could bypass it if you really wanted to.
Even at that temp, they can be very dangerous for kids and for folks with pulmonary issues. Youngsters will drop without warning when hypertherm beyond a point.
Children should never be allowed to hang in water over 98 degrees.
I get calls all the time indicating that a kid went poo in the jacuzzi…heat stroked.

Sandstrom

WKR
Several years ago, I got a “free” hot tub. Definitely was not free. It needed a circuit board, electrical hook up, and a pad built for it. Long story short I did all the work myself and got another 5 or 6 years out of it. One thing I will say is that the company CalSpa is absolutely amazing!! They were incredibly helpful with tech support, even for a tub that was 20 years old!! When I buy (find free) another one it will be a CalSpa!!

Cady Creek

Lil-Rokslider
Like I said above. Inflatable. Saluspa. Absolutely horrendous customer service. You will never talk to a human.
But...2 year warranty and plugs into 110v. We've had them for about 8 years. Been through 3 in that time. Usually the heat pump goes out in 2-3 years. I rent them for $20 a month. If you go in with that mindset, they're great!
As I like to think. 2 6 packs of beer a month for happy wife happy life
I concur. Have had a Coleman SaluSpa for last couple years. It's been the cats azz. This will be year three, and if it shits the bed I'll just order another one for the 4 hundo or so I paid for it.

buffybr

FNG
I have mine set at 101. It's hot (for me) getting in, but comfortable (and safe!) to stay in an hour or so.

104 and above can cause heat stroke and other health issues.

TSAMP

WKR
We would love to get one, but have heard of so many bad maintenance stories.

Is there such a thing as an economical model that won’t break the bank, and last enough to get use out of?
I did alot of research back in 2017 and came out with a clear winner on Hot Springs spas. I bought one of the lower end units with the features I wanted. It's been flawless to this day. The build quality was obvious when comparing models , even with the cover. Its efficient enough to not have influenced my budget billing for electricity. Whatever it ramps up during winter it makes up for lack of general use in summer. ( keep it on eco setting at 88 during summer) to balance the billing.

Don't discount the cash offer scenario either. They always have some financing deals but I walked in with a cargo short pocket of cash and made a deal 3k under advertised.

Stupid tubs. Petrie dishes for Legionella. Had a kid come out once all covered in blisters. That'll teach you to rely on "test strips." My wife wants it for "therapy." She'd never notice it wasn't running, or full of water for that matter, if the grandkids didn't come over or if the apocalyse doesn't come. $40/month average bump on the electric bill.

Hot Springs Jetsetter LX salt.
Have had it for 6 years, no problems. Insignificant increase in electric bill. Maintenance not difficult.
Keep it at 101-102 in the winter, about 100 in the summer.
A glass of wine or bourbon, turn on the underwater lights, kick on the jets, and key the romance music. Great date night while staying at home 🥂

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
We've had 3 in the last 25 years. One Jacuzzi brand and two Aquaterras from Costco. All 3 were 220V. The Jacuzzi was great. The only thing that went wrong was the temp controller 8 years in. It was easy to trace the problem and replace/fix. The first Aquaterra was good except the face cover for the controls for the temp/jets etc. wore out. Another easy replace/fix. The second one had the same problem. The sun/chemicals just ate them up. It also developed a crack in the junction between the heater tube and the pump motor after 9 years. Took a lot of searching to get the right part and gasket. For whatever reason Aquaterra didn't sell/offer it as a replacement. Crapazon had a million knock-off couplings and gaskets that said they fit that model...but didn't. I finally found it at a Leslie's pool supply store. We don't have a hot tub now....and I hope to keep it that way.