How much BH209

elkivory

FNG
I've been out of muzzleloading for a while and am getting ready for a Colorado elk hunt in September. I have plenty of the 350 grain BorLocks and plan to use them unless Hornady gets the new bore driver eldx bullets out and I get to shoot them. Went to the range with my son yesterday and shot various loads to sight in CVA Accura V2 that I put a Williams precision sight on. My son is a big guy and recoil usually doesn't bother him. Not worried about recoil in a hunting situation, but took a pounding at the range. I am weighing out loads and topped out yesterday at 73.5 (105 volume). My question is: how much is enough for elk out to 150 yards? Maybe 200?

ENCORE

WKR
............................. My question is: how much is enough for elk out to 150 yards? Maybe 200?
This is what I'll suggest...................

LEARN to use JBM : https://jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

You'll need your choice of bullet's BC and velocity. Velocity can be estimated from: https://blackhorn209.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/b209muzzleloaderdata.pdf

Determine your MAXIMUM hunting/shooting distance.

Use the data in JBM to determine your drops, but more importantly the bullet energy at your maximum hunting distance.

I suggest you invest in a PAST recoil pad:

Get a good volume measure. Measure out 10 samples of 120grs VOLUME, then weigh each of the 10 samples. Average the 10 charges by weight and shoot that charge........ as long as its accurate.
You'll not be over gunned.............

I shot a cow at 149 with 420 no excuses and 90 grns volume of pyrodex and it folded her like a taco.
My ultra lite also like 90 of Bh209 but it wasn't legal where I was that year.

I don't see any reason to over do it.
If you hit them good they should tip rite over.

OP
E

elkivory

FNG
I shot a cow at 149 with 420 no excuses and 90 grns volume of pyrodex and it folded her like a taco.
My ultra lite also like 90 of Bh209 but it wasn't legal where I was that year.

I don't see any reason to over do it.
If you hit them good they should tip rite over.
When I hunted elk years ago, I settled on 90 of BH209 (had it written on my mz box of stuff). Only shot I ever got was a cow at 75 yards. I was using a regular 209 primer and had a failure to ignite powder. This was in the early days of BH209. I drove to town and called Blackhorn and they said use magnum primers. I have a good supply of them now. Thanks for your reply, right now the 105 volume would probably be my top. I am going to spend time with the jbmballistics site and go from there. Thanks

If you’re really anticipating a shot at 150-200, I’d try to get those 350s going as fast as you can. As Encore says, you’re it overgunned. I’d start at 120 grV and work down to acceptable accuracy.

Muzzle velocity with 105 grV and 350 bullet is probably in the neighborhood of 1750 fps. Maybe you’ve checked?

OP
E

elkivory

FNG
If you’re really anticipating a shot at 150-200, I’d try to get those 350s going as fast as you can. As Encore says, you’re it overgunned. I’d start at 120 grV and work down to acceptable accuracy.

Muzzle velocity with 105 grV and 350 bullet is probably in the neighborhood of 1750 fps. Maybe you’ve checked?
Using the BH209 chart and Hornady FPB it would be 1750. I did plug in values in the JBM chart and I guess the number I have no clue to is how much energy does the borlock need to kill an elk. I shot a Bull once at 500 yards with a 338 win mag Barnes X bullet and there was no expansion at all. According To Barnes the energy needed for expansion was 1900 plus and I was right at that limit. I was able to close the distance and killed the Bull and removed the non expanded bullet from his neck.

ENCORE

WKR
The Borelok bullet has a BC of a rock, .209, but using the data from the BH209 site, with 120grs Volume or, 84grs weight, at 200yds you should be good for bullet energy.
I'm not familiar with what that bullet does or doesn't do, having never used them.

1684607984017.png