How to avoid chasing the wrong bugle

Gapmaster

WKR
Couple years ago I heard a bugle a few times above me on a ridge and was convinced it was a hunter. I was +/- 200 yards with good wind and turned and walked away... later found out it was a solid 315” 6x6. Guy camping down the road from us had heard him and went to investigate, called him right in. I felt really smart...

7Bartman

WKR
I will intentionally throw out an unusual chuckle every now and then if I suspect it's another hunter as I don't want them chasing me. I try and listen how quickly a bull bugles back. It usually takes a hunter more than a few seconds to get their bugle tube up to their mouths. Loud cow calls can be a give away too.

Wrench

WKR
Don't avoid it. I've screwed up WAY more times than I've been called by hunters.

I had a bull pipe off last year 30 yards from my truck and I bet the farm it was a hunter.....aaaaaaannnnddd then 5 hours later I bumped a 300 class bull at my truck.

I worked my way up a steeeeep drainage last year and over the course of the couple days before that, worked elk about 2/3 of the way up it before busting out some cows. I got up to the top 1/3 of it and stopped to cow call on the edge of a patchy stretch of meadows. It was opening day of muzzle loader season near a popular CO wilderness area and after I called, a squealy, whiny, fluty bugle answered within 200 yards. Out of frustration and sheer stupidity, I just turned around and began walking away swearing it was an old timer who was packed in on horses blowing a 30 year old bugle tube with dry rotted reeds.

I often think about how I probably walked away from an elk that I most likely would have killed.....

One more important thing. If you’re with someone, and both of you are busting it uphill chasing a bugle, I’ve had the other person say “It’s a person”, just because they can’t keep up with you.
Shit, I've had guys know it's a 300+ bull and still be 50 yards behind me running up ridges.

Context can make it easier but still no guarantee with a good bugler.
Like mentioned above, a cow call can be a dead giveaway

you’ll get a feel for it with time.

4rcgoat

WKR
I believe i roped in another hunter 2 days ago. I made a low key location bugle in some very heavy north facing timber,got a very aggressive response, came in fast and furious. He almost had me convinced until i heard a series of cow calls in between the bugles and chuckles, that just didn't seem right so i packed up and got out of there. Hope my instincts were correct. Guess I'll never know.

All bugles are guilty (of being elk) until proven innocent in my mind. Been fooled too many times both ways before.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Some of the worst sounding turkey sounds I've heard, have been from turkeys. Same with elk. If you get a response from a godawful thick patch on a steep face, 99.9% it isn't a human. I left a bull this morning in exactly that situation before I screwed it up enough for this evening.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sled

WKR
I bumped a bull this morning and stopped him with a cow call only to have a response from below him in the woods that sounded like a half second bump on an air horn. Since I knew another hunter was around I assumed it was him. I tried to position myself to take the first bull as he walked off. That meant getting ahead of him if possible. In the meantime I heard the hunter slowly make his way up to my first position that I called from. After 15 minutes of him looking around for me he finally pushed off. It was about that time that I realized it was a real bull. He was in a dry wallow when he responded the first time. Lesson learned.

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
It might be a bit embarrassing to chase a bugle only to find another hunter, but that is actually a way better feeling than to not chase and find out it was real bull.

One tip that can slightly give you a clue is the timing of the response. As someone said, it takes a second or two to get the bugle tube up but generally hunters always respond within a few seconds and all of their responses are in the same time frame. You bugle......they bugle. You bugle.....they bugle. real bulls may answer immediately or 5 minutes later. This is by no means foolproof, but there is a wee bit of truth there. I have found most hunters to be very consistent and most bulls to be not quite as consistent. But that is only a generality.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yeah. I've noticed the past few days that real bulls can be lackadaisical in their response. They also change position way quicker than any hunter can. If they respond, then a minute or so later they're 150yds closer, that's a bull. What I've noticed the most, that has already been mentioned, is the tone of a real bull's bugle. They don't echo like bugles from a tube.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk