Hunting Vehicle Setups

packer58

WKR
For trips where I don't take my big truck with truckbed camper and cargo trailer, I am going with F150 and canopy.

View attachment 675178

I found used Decked Drawers and a used RSI Smartcap.
Your making entirely too much money .......... When I bought my Leer they had one of those in the showroom, man that is a sweet setup for sure and looked to be very well built ......

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Your making entirely too much money .......... When I bought my Leer they had one of those in the showroom, man that is a sweet setup for sure and looked to be very well built ......
Ha! I bought the truck with 90k on it, got the drawers for like $600 and got the canopy for almost half off new price.

I priced Leer, ARE, and Smartcap and they were all basically the same price where we live.

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
I did the out of my truck camping for a while. Carried everything in the bed and second seat. I bought a used cargo trailer to house all my gear and atv. I was doing it every weekend for about three to four months a year and got tired of loading and unloading every four days. I could have slept in the trailer but found bringing a tent was better for me. I was saving up for a toy hauler but ended up with a lease and a cabin.
If I ever went back to camping in different locations I would anti up for a toy hauler. I would want to be able to drive the truck with having to break down camp every time we had to run to town. I looked at trying to be self contained in just a truck and I couldnt get my head around a satisfactory setup. Hopefully you will find a great setup that works for your needs.

I’m torn because it would be cool to hunt off the ATV and use the truck as a camp, but I also see the challenge in having to go to town etc then breaking everything down. Packing then re-packing everything for every trip..

I haven’t really considered an enclosed toy hauler, but I do see the benefits now.
Thanks for sharing

Magma

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2017 4x4 2500 Cumins 6.7. I absolutely love the truck. The power is unbelievable compared to my 5.9 gasser. As far as any gremlins, I have had none.
When towing our trailer it's like it isn't even there. You will find people who will tell you bad things about any make of truck so buy what makes you happy, I've heard bad about all of them.
I used to get 7-8 mpg when towing with my gas truck, now I get 14-16 mph when towing. Mileage when empty on the highway is 19-21 mpg, with my gasser it was 12-13 on a good day.
01F2EDA7-2C7A-4F0F-B6D7-6CE76DAA2B2C.png

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I have a topper and just put gear in totes. Those decked systems just seem to take up too much room in an already small area. I can’t imagine doing a trip without that topper.

As others mentioned, you don’t always need an atv, so just get a small utility trailer to haul that on trips you need it.

Have a few options on tents depending on weather will have you covered for shelter. I’ve always just pitched a tent. Doesn’t take that long and if the weather sucks you can’t beat a wall tent for comfort.

packer58

WKR
Ha! I bought the truck with 90k on it, got the drawers for like $600 and got the canopy for almost half off new price.

I priced Leer, ARE, and Smartcap and they were all basically the same price where we live.
That surprises me a bit, Smartcap was a fair bit more pricey than the Leer .......Must be regional thing ..... I really looked at one and sure is a nice unit ......