I can't take the time to aim.

I shoot every day. I use a Scott Verge release with a click. The click helps me to slow down the shot process. I don't like handheld releases for hunting.

Remove the sight from your bow so that you aren't thinking about aiming. Stand 6' from the target, draw, settle, then let down without shooting. Once you get comfortable, focus on making a controlled shot that you can back out of at any moment up to releasing the arrow.

Without a sight you have no method of aiming and all that you have to focus on is making a good shot.

OP
Pinewood

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
I'll give you all an update. Worked my ass of this week focusing on calming down and executing a smooth shot process. I'm working every step of the shot and getting calm pin float over my target point. I'm well anchored now starting to really feel the surprise of the release, I'm working to push the bow hand and pull with the release hand. It feels great when a real surprise shot lets go. I took all the bits of tape off my target and put a bigger 4x4" tape square on it. I'm just aiming for the middle of that. Less precision seems to equal less panic for me. Thanks for the tips.

eddiewiggles

FNG
Classified Approved
What you described is exactly what I went through. You said you didn’t wanna spend anymore money, but the Silverback from Nock On helped me a lot. I can’t say it was the solution, because the solution for every person that encounters this is to find a way to slow down and put yourself back in control of your shot. All of us get to that point in different ways.I can now shoot any release I want and not punch or jerk the trigger and I’m pretty proud of that to be honest.

I’ll venture to say that no matter how you fix yourself, it’s gonna be super frustrating and take a while. You can’t watch a “fix target panic in three easy steps” YouTube video and be good to go. The release helped me because I was able focus on only working the release and forget about what my pin was doing. Stay positive though, you’ll get through it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justace

FNG
I’ve struggled with similar target panic over the years and recently watched John Dudley’s 5 part Archery 101 series that came out a couple weeks ago. I thought it would be good to see what he would teach a beginner and it was a great reminder to focus on the fundamentals of the entire shot process. After watching it and shooting a few times this week I am shooting much better.

Zac

WKR
I can’t imagine trying to sift through most of this information if I was the one looking for a solution. You can just listen to a Joel Turner podcast and never visit this thread again.

fatlander

WKR
One of my hunting buddies and extremely proficient archer said something the other day on this topic:

A tension release like the evolution (silverback) is the free trial version of a hinge.

Good luck OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Pinewood

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
Hey y'all. I'm cured. Just had to get out of my head and kinda not be a meow about it. I'm shooting very well out to about 60 right now. Time to go poke a hole in a black bear. Thanks again for the tips.