I might have a problem

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
9 grams to 6 grams. On the left is the original and on the right is the modified version. I might get each cap down to 5 grams. The tripod uses 3 of them so that's a third of an ounce saved, and an hour of my time spent. Worth it? Not at all! This is to cap off the feet of a Sirui T-025x carbon fiber tripod that I removed the bottom section of legs from (as well as a couple pieces of foam and the center column).

IMG_2106.jpg

These are Dorman vacuum caps.

charvey9

WKR
Nice! I'll be picking up a T-025X here shortly, and will probably drop you a line about the mods to cut some weight.

OP
P

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
Nice! I'll be picking up a T-025X here shortly, and will probably drop you a line about the mods to cut some weight.

Great. It's pretty easy. The mods increase the stability by removing the least stable parts, decrease the weight, but they decrease the max height. It will probably be a sitting tripod only after the mods.

The center column screws off, the bottom legs screw off (don't lose the small two pieces of plastic per leg). I guess the only thing to watch out for is don't cross thread anything since it's plastic threads (if you do any unscrewing and rescrewing). The way to avoid cross threading is to spin counter clockwise, feel it click, then go clockwise with not much force. I also took the foam off by rolling it off. Just work the top of the foam so it starts to fold over, then keep rolling it until it's all the way off the leg.

After removing the parts some Dorman Vacuum caps will protect the now-exposed threads. They are nice and sturdy but heavier than I would like (the mod). I also tried getting some PVC caps but I didn't like the way the feet would squish and squirm when I tested them out. http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-02253-...=1455557967&sr=8-1&keywords=dorman+vacuum+cap There's probably something perfect out there that doesn't need modification but I didn't find it.

If you ever choose to put the legs back on, make sure you use two pieces of plastic per leg. Align the circular dots in the small plastic pieces with the holes in the carbon fiber legs. Then stick the leg back in, and it should screw down nicely. Without the plastic things the legs don't lock right, so they're very important.

I've played with pulling those bottom segments off. Most of the time they aren't used. However, on any kind of steep terrain (i.e hill side), you really need to have the options of extending the downhill legs out even when exclusively used as a sitting tripod. I've used them enough in the field that I left them on so far.

An angled spotter might help with that, but mine is straight.

OP
P

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
Yellowknife, did you remove all the segments but one, or just the thinnest segment on each leg? I just removed the thinnest segment on each leg. It can still extend pretty far.

Yellowknife, did you remove all the segments but one, or just the thinnest segment on each leg? I just removed the thinnest segment on each leg. It can still extend pretty far.

Just the thinnest... and then I put them back. It's usable without it, but can get awkward when setting up on an outcrop or mountainside. Just saying that ditching it isn't a given for everyone. Depends on terrain, but my primarily use for that tripod is for sheep and goat, so sidehills are the norm in that instance.

Yk

OP
P

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
Interestingly I also found that one. I think I read some review that said it wasn't top notch but I really don't know. (Edit, just re-read the reviews and it was about gouges from a set screw. If you get it I'd be curious to know if you like it). I got the $$$ Outdoorsmans micro panhead which is a bit under 8 ounces so not super heavy but not super light either. QR plates are 1 oz. Bino adapter is between 1-2 oz. The Outdoorsmans stuff is quality but expensive and not quite as light as I would hope for. I haven't tried it in the field yet. I assume it will work fine as long as the spotter isn't too heavy.

Last edited:

three5x5s

WKR
Interestingly I also found that one. I think I read some review that said it wasn't top notch but I really don't know. (Edit, just re-read the reviews and it was about gouges from a set screw. If you get it I'd be curious to know if you like it). I got the $$$ Outdoorsmans micro panhead which is a bit under 8 ounces so not super heavy but not super light either. QR plates are 1 oz. Bino adapter is between 1-2 oz. The Outdoorsmans stuff is quality but expensive and not quite as light as I would hope for. I haven't tried it in the field yet. I assume it will work fine as long as the spotter isn't too heavy.

Dont know if its possible to swap out the steel set screw with a brass one. Brass will not make the gouges. Or maybe a set screw with a plastic tip and JB weld a allen wrench to it.