I need to learn to bugle and cow call before September

87TT

WKR
Elknut app is the best. You can listen to real elk, and Paul make the calls. Then record yourself and listen to it back. This is invaluable because to me, I sound different live or listening back from a recording.

Loper

WKR
When I first started learning to call I would go on long rucks early in the morning and rip off bugles while walking through my neighborhood and listening to calls on the ElkNut app. Any dogs that were outside would start barking and would make even more racket.

A few miles from my house I had to cross an overpass and when going across I’d be a lot louder and more frequent with my calls since I wasn’t right next to homes. After going across I went about another mile or two and turned around back over the overpass. This time as I was heading up the overpass I could see on the other side that there was a cop car with its lights on. As I got towards the middle of the overpass I saw a flashlight turn on and start walking towards me. I was pretty sure it was the cop and so I quickly wedged my bugle tube under a strap on the opposite side of my body from him. He stopped me and said that someone had called in that there was a person screaming from the overpass. He asked if I’d seen anyone around screaming. I did my best to hide a grin and told him I hadn’t.

I wasn’t sure if the cop genuinely believed me or just didn’t want to give me a hard time and throw more questions at me. Either way, I was glad I could continue on with my ruck and decided not to doing any more calling that morning.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I got in trouble with the Wife once when I found a cabinet hinge that squeaked and then spent the next five minutes trying to make it sound like an elk.
She prolly got pissed because she thought you were trying to imitate her calling for you.

Last edited:

Driftin

FNG
Start here Elknut app and also Elk101 then move on to more advanced techniques. There’s a lot to know when calling elk.

I like Sceery cow calls. For bugling I prefer a mouth read and a tube. Have you ever called turkeys with a mouth read before? You might like one with a plate on top like the Primos palate plate if you have a bad gag reflex. Watch a few videos and just start playing with them. After that get some elk nut videos. The thing about elk nut is he doesn’t just teach you how to make the sounds. He explains what they mean. In other words, you don’t need to know the words alone, you need to know the language. Good luck.

WCB

WKR
Buy some bite calls/reed calls and diaphragms and see what you like best. With a diaphragms just know you can trim them to fit better. Also try the dome calls vs open calls. I can not use a dome type diaphragm at all. Look on youtube for calling basics before you go spending money on a "calling master class system".

One huge plus for diaphragms is you can use it to stop elk when at draw or call them in without having to move if your bow is at the ready. Also, you can simply bugle and call cow without having to switch back and forth. For bugling I hate and am horrible with with calls that have the reed on the call itself.

With all that said I still have reed/bite calls with me as they do change up the sound and they were a nice break at a time like last year I was calling for my dad in a complete rut fest. 2.5 days 8 bulls called in to under 40 yards. multiple more to 70-80...plus dozens of cows, but you had to talk them in though. literally hours of calling and ripping bugles back and forth. My palate was hurting. But that is a best case scenario and can't complain too much.

Alex.D102

FNG
The elk nut app really helped me and there are some awesome videos put out by Paul on YouTube you can find. Tons of great info on there

Kelleyss

FNG
Despite a few of my early readings suggesting that Afognak Roosevelt elk are quiet, Alaska F&G confirmed they do indeed bugle and cow call, especially during the rut when I am headed there in late September this year. I also like how some folks trudging through the thick stuff making noise will use cow calls to hide their presence - seems smart.

I have NEVER called to Elk before. I don't own a bugle horn nor a cow call. My wife and neighbors are going to hate me this summer.

Any "Elk bugling 101 for beginners" courses out there o_O
I have a lot of trouble with diaphragm calls because of all the work I have had done in my mouth. If you are having trouble with the basics and can't produce a smooth bugle or mew, Rocky Mountain Hunting Calls has a really good "bite" reed. Select "A" Bull
Despite a few of my early readings suggesting that Afognak Roosevelt elk are quiet, Alaska F&G confirmed they do indeed bugle and cow call, especially during the rut when I am headed there in late September this year. I also like how some folks trudging through the thick stuff making noise will use cow calls to hide their presence - seems smart.

I have NEVER called to Elk before. I don't own a bugle horn nor a cow call. My wife and neighbors are going to hate me this summer.

Any "Elk bugling 101 for beginners" courses out there o_O

It's pricey but it produces a really good sound and I have called in a bunch of bulls with it.

mmenart

FNG
Another vote for the Elknut app here! Plenty of context and examples to get started with.

I would get the cow calls rock solid. Some may find them gimmicky but the Phelps EZ Suckr is really easy to use. If you can get a diaphragm down something like mellow yellow is great. If your solo it’s great to have that mastered so you can use it while holding your bow. I hardly bugle any more ( call in more hunters than elk) but understanding the language is key. Roe’s course is good for that.

Elk Nut does a great job, Chris Roe, Corey Jacobson, Steve Chappell, Dirk Durham, Jason Phelps.
You will learn a little bit different technique from them all. That's allows you to see which might work better for you. Watch all of these guys.

I have watched hundreds of videos and I still do. However, now I do not listen to the elk callers, I listen to the actual elk being called in. I listen to the sounds the bulls make in responding to the callers. Sometimes I play back over and over trying to mimic that particular response in that situation. A guy may be on a stalk with bulls running back and forth screaming at one another and I listen to those sounds, inflections and the tones of the bugles going back and forth among themselves. Wife thinks I am insane. I actually damaged my hearing and posted it about in here previously. Too many piercing Bugles in a closed Garage.

I hunted probably 4 years before I actually tried to call in the field with anything other than a few squeeze's on a Hoochie Mama. Afraid I would scare them off.

Now I enjoy calling them in more than anything else. Playing the game. There's is no "perfect" elk call, All elk are different. I will change bugles tubes and diaphragms if I have multiple encounters with a certain bull. They are smart as hell, They didn't get big by being stupid.

Just have fun. Don't over call. Again, Paul Medel (Elk Nut), does a great job and he is a great guy. Get his App.

bz_711

WKR
Open a podcast app and search Elknut...every time Paul is on a podcast he delivers...both him and Chris Roe (his older stuff) are top of my list for education.

Like most things...even knowing a little can go a long way in the woods. Just like turkey hunting, you don't have to sound like a caller in a contest to get the animals to respond...don't be afraid to call.

Good Luck!