Idaho archery elk clothing list

Usi05

WKR
Looking for some feedback here gang. Below is list of clothing I’ll be taking for archery elk in Idaho for 2 weeks in September. Want to make sure I’m well covered for first hunt.

Any help is appreciated.

Worn-
Merino socks
Merino boxers
Wrangler outdoor pants
Sitka lightweight ls crew
Prime cap
Lowa caminos

In pack-
UA Ridge reaper hoody as mid layer
UA insulated 3-1 jacket as cold layer. Sleeves and hood zip off.
Rain paints
Rain coat
Extra pair of socks
Extra pair of boxers
Merino wool lightweight leggings
UA Beanie
Ua Balaclava
Ua gloves

On the fence about taking a merino lightweight shirt and extra pair of pants to keep in vehicle in case I need them.

I think my jacket will work as a puffy and I don’t envision us glassing for long periods of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GregB

WKR
I would ditch the leggings, and unless you're backpacking in no need for extra socks and underwear. I wold also take either a beanie or balaclava not both.

sneaky

"DADDY"
What part of Idaho? Region, not unit. Truck camping?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Usi05

Usi05

WKR
What part of Idaho? Region, not unit. Truck camping?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

South east side. Base camp but spiking in for a few days at a time.

OP
Usi05

Usi05

WKR
Any additional help here gang?

Check the weather forecast. Skip the raingear if the forecast is dry. If the forecast is dry I'll bring a military poncho or something similar because it's much lighter than raingear and will keep you dry if needed.

ALWAYS leave extra clothes in your truck. If you have an extra tent, sleeping pad, boots, etc then leave them in the truck too.

ndmarine

Lil-Rokslider
Merino socks / boxers - good but you probably dont need as many as you think when hiking in to spike camp. 1 pair every other day would be fine unless you are expecting to get rained on (check forecast right before you roll).
I personally like to take a nice rain jacket every day just in case but only pack the pants if rain is in the forecast.
On that note you typically are only cold when you first get out of the tent and for the first 15 minutes of hiking tops - this is where you can save weight by just wearing your rain jacket for this otherwise mentally draining portion of the day - who cares if its a little loud - you just need warmth to start. If you do pack an insulated jacket i can almost guarantee you will wear it out of the tent and first 15min of the hike then backpack it around the rest of the day (you owe me a PM when this prophesy rings true:))

Day pack i'd skip the extra socks etc.

OP
Usi05

Usi05

WKR
Merino socks / boxers - good but you probably dont need as many as you think when hiking in to spike camp. 1 pair every other day would be fine unless you are expecting to get rained on (check forecast right before you roll).
I personally like to take a nice rain jacket every day just in case but only pack the pants if rain is in the forecast.
On that note you typically are only cold when you first get out of the tent and for the first 15 minutes of hiking tops - this is where you can save weight by just wearing your rain jacket for this otherwise mentally draining portion of the day - who cares if its a little loud - you just need warmth to start. If you do pack an insulated jacket i can almost guarantee you will wear it out of the tent and first 15min of the hike then backpack it around the rest of the day (you owe me a PM when this prophesy rings true:))

Day pack i'd skip the extra socks etc.

Thank you.

The insulated top layer is what I am stressing about the most. I have a pretty good set now but all this extra time is making me doubt it lol.

Taking two pairs of boxers and 2-3 pairs of socks for 9.5 days.

I will let you know how that prophecy works out in a few months.

Rob5589

WKR
That list is solid, for truck camping. For spiking out a day or two check the forecast for rain and pack accordingly. Last year was mild, 3 years ago we got a bunch of rain and two days of snow.

8 days for myself:
2 pair pants
2 long sleeves
1 short sleeve
3 underwear
3 socks
1 Set of base layers
Rain gear
Puffy
Hoody
Beanie
I bring a set of "go home" clothes as well. Smelling myself for the 14 hr drive home is no fun.

OP
Usi05

Usi05

WKR
That list is solid, for truck camping. For spiking out a day or two check the forecast for rain and pack accordingly. Last year was mild, 3 years ago we got a bunch of rain and two days of snow.

8 days for myself:
2 pair pants
2 long sleeves
1 short sleeve
3 underwear
3 socks
1 Set of base layers
Rain gear
Puffy
Hoody
Beanie
I bring a set of "go home" clothes as well. Smelling myself for the 14 hr drive home is no fun.

Thank you. I plan to wear street clothes on way there and change at trailhead and do the same when I leave to avoid stinking up an airplane.

Think I will keep rain gear on me at all times since my stuff is pretty light.

Extra merino set, pair of pants, shirt and boots will be left back at truck.

Helpful stuff!

ridgefire

WKR
Merino will be your friend for keeping the smell down. I would ditch the big jacket and take the merino shirt, I have worn mine for up to a week with very little smell.Costco sells a cheap down jacket for like $30 that is really light and works great. I pretty much have it in my pack full time now.