Injured my spinal erector, what cardio can I do to keep me from going crazy?

rhendrix

WKR
Three weeks ago I tweaked my back lifting a heavy patient off the floor. I've injured myself in the same spot before and typically I just wait it out, but this time I choose to seek out a professional medical opinion. The diagnosis appears to be a strained spinal erector. I also have extremely tight hamstrings, right hip flexors, and some anterior pelvic tilt. None of this is a huge surprise to me, I've known for awhile that my hamstrings and hip flexors are tight. I've been given a stretching and soft tissue routine by the DC, and I'm sticking to it religiously. I just need to figure out some form of cardio and lifts that will not aggravate my back. I've been walking a ton, but there is absolutely no way of improving aerobic capacity by walking. Anyone ever dealt with this? What'd you do?

Personally, I would rest and keep stretching like you're doing and that's all I would do. I've fought back injury before and every time I pushed it I ended up being set back. I would rest until you feel 100%, then maybe An upright stationary bike, swimming, or something really low impact like a stepmill, then work my way up.

Swimming would be about the only option.

And some unsolicited thoughts. I would venture a guess that the reason you have the back issue is because of the hamstring/hip flexor tightness. Get that stuff straightened out and keep it maintained.