Insight on Michigan grouse/woodcock for fall '24

Longleaf

Lil-Rokslider
Hey I'm trying to plan a hunt for September/ October and need some guidance (not looking for specific spots). My buddy and I are looking at Michigan for grouse and woodcock on public land.

Between us we have 3 Pudelpointers, 2 will be going in their sophomore season and one in his 4th season. My dog has a rough coat so it will need to be cooler weather.

We'll probably have 4 or 5 days to hunt western UP and norther lower, my questions are:

What types of cover to look for?
Stick to the woods of get out in the fields?
Best time for cool temps?
Best area/towns to stay in? (might do some camping weather dependent)

Thanks in advance

Tenstrike

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend the Birdshot podcast, there is a frequent guest on there who lives in the U.P. and talks extensively on cover and habitat.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Not likely to find them in open fields, if there are any around. They both like to hang in fairly dense cover, in wooded areas. In early morning and shortly before sunset they will be out by logging/dirt roads, and hanging in berms along those roads. When you are driving around keep your eyes in the trees, they stand out real good when they are roosting. If you are in dense brush, what we call tag alders, keep your dogs working close. If they get way out ahead of you they may kick up the birds and you will never get a shot. If your dogs starts acting weird with his nose in the air, look in the trees, he likely smells or see one roosted. When walking, always be on the alert, if they break at your feet, you may be startled and miss the shot. Be sure to go after the trees have dropped their leaves, otherwise you wont see them in the trees. Real fun birds to hunt. Grouse are great eating, woodcock not so much. My nephew make patty out of them.

Ten Bears

WKR
Check out the GEMS units. Grouse Enhanced Management Sites. Made specifically for grouse and woodies. They have an online map for each one with designated color to indicate tree type and age. All of them hold birds.

I would hunt the 2nd week of October if given the choice. Woodcock flight may be over but the leaves should be falling up there. Makes shooting the king a lot easier. And quite frankly the western UP is stunning that time of year. Temps will be better on the dogs also.

Look for food and edge habitat. All the GEMS have been planted with all the good stuff.

If you need any more info feel free to PM.

OP
Longleaf

Longleaf

Lil-Rokslider
Thank y'all for the responses, great info.

Does anyone have any recommendation for guides that can show us the ropes?

Yooper

WKR
Born and raised in the UP, spending a lot of time on the west end.

-Fields aren't really a thing over there unless you're talking about farm fields. Grouse/woodcock won't be there anyway so just cruise on by.

-Depending on the conditions, birds could be anywhere. If you're looking for woodcock I would stick to the newer regrowth popple (aspen) stands. Wrist size or smaller is what I would look for. If you're looking for mainly grouse then be mobile. I prefer to look for areas where there are popple and spruce mixed in for cover, but just kind of depends on the weather and food available. Windy days I'm looking for higher terrain where they can exit cover downhill. Just don't get too hung up on one certain kind of cover. You'll end up missing out on a lot of birds if you're not willing to learn.

-I'd really focus on mid-October for timing. Could be 60's, could be a foot of snow....can't really tell. But the leaves and ferns are normally down by then and hunting gets a bit easier in my opinion. Also, be aware that Michigan's archery deer season opens on October 1st. Every year I have issues with out of state bird hunters walking in where I'm bow hunting it seems. If you see a truck parked somewhere don't just assume they're bird hunting. There's tens of thousands or acres of state/federal land available. Just move to another spot. (Sorry, sore subject for me)

-Western UP is pretty sparse for towns. If I were you I'd look to rent a cabin or something similar. Look at areas around Lake Gogebic, Bessemer, Wakefield, or Ironwood. Should be plenty of options. Close access to Ottawa National Forest, too.

-Don't know any guides, but I'm sure there are some out there.

-Wolves, there are a bunch of them in the UP. If you see tracks, personally I would move on. Every year there's reports of dogs being taken down by wolves. I respect their presence but don't really fear them at all. Just be aware you might see them or be in their presence.

-Bear season will also be in full effect. Mostly guys running hounds. Again, if you see a vehicle parked just keep moving to a new spot.

Good luck.....holler if you have any other questions!