Insoles, or no...

madgrad02

WKR
Does anyone remove the insoles from their boots and go without them, or perhaps can you recommend a thinner insole? Seem to find conflicting opinions online? I have 2 pairs of Crispis (guide gtx and idaho gtx - both sz 12) that fit great even with thicker will socks and a 3rd pair of altitudes (sz 12 also) that just seem a little tight on toes even with just liner socks on. Without the insole, they are great. Granted, believe the first 2 are EU46 and the altitude are EU45.5, so slightly smaller. Was hoping for a lighter pair for the mtns, but perhaps I'll just stick with the idahos as planned originality. Are there any good, thin aftermarket insoles? Thoughts?

Wouldn’t recommend no insoles

I have custom orthotics (flat feet etc) and usually orthotics are slimmer and take up less room than insoles that came in boots.

I know for “sure feet” insoles give more room inside boots

I have guide GTX too.

You can also take to shoe cobbler that can stretch toe box for you for prob $10

Stuff at home to stretch toe box is getting boot wet and stuffing stuff in toe box to stretch. And anything big you can jam in there (never did it at home but you can prob find instructions / vid how to do that).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone remove the insoles from their boots and go without them, or perhaps can you recommend a thinner insole? Seem to find conflicting opinions online? I have 2 pairs of Crispis (guide gtx and idaho gtx - both sz 12) that fit great even with thicker will socks and a 3rd pair of altitudes (sz 12 also) that just seem a little tight on toes even with just liner socks on. Without the insole, they are great. Granted, believe the first 2 are EU46 and the altitude are EU45.5, so slightly smaller. Was hoping for a lighter pair for the mtns, but perhaps I'll just stick with the idahos as planned originality. Are there any good, thin aftermarket insoles? Thoughts?
Oboz makes a "factory" insole that might be worth checking out. It's very good quality and pretty thin at the toe area. For the price, it's worth a try.

Maki35

WKR
If your boots feel comfortable to you without the insole, then go for it.
I have never worn my boots without the insole because I prefer the layer of cushion/support that insoles provide.
You can try stretching the boots. Or try a pair of ultra-thin insoles (google search). But depending on how much room you have in the boots, even the ultra thin insoles will take up a little bit of space.

Last edited:
Have you reached out to Crispi to see what they have to say?

They do have several different types of insoles on their site for sale.

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Sole or superfeet make their inserts in varying thickness. Most everybody does. Go to REI find one you like. Buy the thin version of it.

Mcnasty

FNG
Depending on conditions, one thing to consider is that in addition to comfort and arch support the insole provides insulation from the cold ground. I have a buddy that some how only put one insole in his boots on a very cold below zero trip. One foot now has several toes with frost bite the other with the insole was fine.

WMag338

WKR
I’m using the sheep feet insoles in my kenetreks. Been super happy with them. They are very expensive, but my feet don’t hurt at the end of the day.