Is this bug damage?

Sevens

WKR
Noticed that this deer mount has a bald patch under its chin today. I’m a bit baffled as I checked the mount for bugs and found nothing, found no loose tuffs of hair, and fairly regularly fumigate the room as a preventative measure. I’ve had the mount probably 5-6 years now, but can’t say I recall ever looking under its chin until today.

Does this look like bug damage or just a bald spot from an injury?

IMG_0217.jpeg

Rich M

WKR
Not sure.

Had s guy tell me if i ever worried about bugs in my mounts to put it in a big garbage bag and eithet dump a can of raid or set off s bomb in the bag, leave it sealed for a week and put it back on the wall. Bug stuff will kill whatever is in there.

Rogue Bay

WKR
I had a taxidermist tell me it was okay to spray Raid on a rag or paper towel and gently wipe a mount down. I tried it on a big bear rug and it seemed to work.

manitou1

WKR
Permetherin. Spray your mounts a couple times a year.

As far as the OP: To me that looks like some hair slipped, but hard to tell. Some taxidermists use dry preservative and do not tan the cape. I would advise this as one of the #1 requirements when shopping for a taxi... NO DRY PRESERVATIVE!

I have customer's who have my mounts from 25 years ago and they still look like new.