Jacket for late october CO

dado5

FNG
I am going 2nd rifle for elk in co this year. All of my gear is set up for archery weather. I have merino base layers, puffy, and good rain jacket. I am looking for a good outer jacket that is semi-weather proof so if I get some light snow or rain it will be fine and i can put my rain shell over it if it really comes down and/or i am sitting. If I get colder I would like room to put my puffy under it and when hiking in potentially crummy weather all i will need is the jacket and a base layer. I am from PA and all of my cold weather stuff is mainly really heavy for standing. I was thinking along the lines of sitka timberline or first lite catalyst but have nowhere near me to try on or look at. I get lost when looking online at all the potential options. looking for ideas.

Why not just use your rain jacket as your outer layer and your puffy as insulation? That’s all I do here in Colorado, even in the winter. No need to carry an extra jacket.

I will through in a vote for the Sitka jetstream. Plays exactly the role you are talking about for me. I also like my first lite north branch and think the catalyst is an update of that.

Seems like a lot of folks are getting away from soft shells but I have been in love with them for 15 years and can’t seem to give them up.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like that jetstream. Or, what I do that time of year it’s switch my rain jacket to the Sitka Coldfront Jacket. That thing is freaking dreamy for the wind and cold. I have a review on the article page on Rokslide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

90% of the time I'm hunting during 2nd - 4th season in CO my outer layer is the Jetstream Jacket. The other 10% my rain jacket is on because of the weather. I've heard the Coldfront is pretty BA as well, but have no experience using it.