JRE w/ Cam and Steve

OP
isItFallYet
Look this is just anecdotal so take it as you wish. I have two large families on my side (moms, dads) and in-law family that is also large. Many cousins all around. All combined very diverse in politics and life choices living all over the country and a bunch in NYC and CA. Some extremes on all spectrums too. Not a single one disagrees with hunting and eating wild game. I’ve fed venison to “vegans”, LGBTQ+ squared, you name it. All approve. The internet and SM influencers have you think the sky is falling and we need more hunters. The main battle we have is against anti predator hunting and that’s obvious. We can beat them with science and sound management practices. With that said, no one is coming for deer, elk, pig, etc hunting at any time during our life. Theres just no evidence of that.
I do think that as more information comes out about how the FDA is bought out, and how we’re essentially eating poison, that people will be more open to eating “organic” foods, including wild game. However, I disagree with your opinion about folks coming for our hunting rights. Two words come to mind: Marlin Reis. There are people that are so emotionally oppugnant toward the harming of animals that they will stop at nothing to see hunting eliminated all together.

Sea change starts with small ripples, small ripples started by small pebbles like ballot biology changing the North American wildlife management methodology.

finally got around to listening to the podcast. i generally don't mind JRE explaining to his nonhunting guests his budding passion for archery and hunting, but i found it rather frustrating when his guests like Cam H and Steve R let him get away with, nary a correction to him spouting his naive opinions on topics such as public land pressures/issues, state/local wildlife management [politics] and other pressing topics that [his] wealth/privilege insulates oneself all from. in the end it was and Opportunity lost for two seasoned and respectable hunter/advocates to educate one of the most influential and widespread media voices out there. id liken it to a proud father/uncle who teaches the young child how to manage and nuture the newfound zeal, for in this particular case, hunting. so when the reality sets in, one doesnt abondon the cause/activity.

I've got some friends that are very far left. LGBTQIA+ activists, BLM activists, Land Back and repatriation advocates... They're not anti hunting. Some even hunt.

A number of them are quite interested in my hunting. They'll eat game meat, love my hunting dogs, etc.

The only complaints I've heard from any of them about hunting is that coyote hunting competitions are gross... And I don't think they're wrong.
youve described to a varying degree roughly half the membership of the local BHA chapter were i live. haha

Scoot

WKR
This is amongst the craziest statememts I've seen posted on a hunting forum.....

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Maybe less crazy and more uninformed and just plain stupid. ... but still crazy!

I've got some friends that are very far left. LGBTQIA+ activists, BLM activists, Land Back and repatriation advocates... They're not anti hunting. Some even hunt.

A number of them are quite interested in my hunting. They'll eat game meat, love my hunting dogs, etc.

The only complaints I've heard from any of them about hunting is that coyote hunting competitions are gross... And I don't think they're wrong.
I agree with yall….partially. Hunting does enjoy widespread bipartisan support, from a very diverse groups of people across the country, both rural and urban, all walks of life. However, I think you are grossly underestimating the national anti-hunting groups and their influence in many western states. Yes, they will first attack predator hunting, it enjoys the least popular support. But they have their eyes set on bears, sheep, and much later deer and elk. They understand that if predator hunting is removed then an abundance of predators will diminish ungulate populations to the point hunting wouldnt be biologically responsible. The other attack angle we see is framing the hunting of certain species as “trophy hunting”, a commonly misunderstood and misused term. If they can successfully hang that term on hunting of a certain species, they can mislead the populace into eliminating hunting of said species. Basically any species could be framed as “trophy hunting” in the media surrounding legislation and ballot initiatives. If you think the threat isn’t real and these folks are going to stop at predator hunting, you are dead wrong. Just look at Washington and Colorado, dive into Washington Wildlife First and what they have done and plan to do there. Read between the lines. They aren’t so foolish to come out and say “Let’s ban all hunting!” In their mission statement but they have a long term strategy to achieve just that. These are professional paid political lobbyists and strategists, not your average grassroots activist. Do they have widespread popular support? No, but they will use misinformation, lies, and major media campaigns to overcome that. They also have the political backing of Governors and elected officials in those states. They have the support of national fundraising organizations such as Center for Biological Diversity, Humane Society, WildEarth Guardians, etc. They don’t believe in wildlife conservation, they believe in preservation. That means no hunting and fishing, no sustainable use, wildlife is not a resource to them. Samantha Miller Bruegger, former Washington Wildlife First Exec Director and current proponent of Co Mtn Lion Ballot initiative described hunting as “reckless sport killing”.

In the end, I hope you are right and I am wrong. But experience tells me that may not be the case.