Kenai Peninsula Spring Black Bear

LCoult

FNG
I am planning on heading to Anchorage to meet my father in law for a black bear hunt on the Kenai in mid-late may. We had discussed navigating Skilak lake and glassing the surrounding slopes. While my FIL has experience bear hunting on the kenai he has not been around skilak much, I have heard a lot of people say to be careful on the lake as it can get extremely rough when weather rolls in which I understand. My question is, is the Skilak pretty good for bear and worth dealing with the lake? or would we better off trying around the Mills creek area that he's more familiar with? Also would mid-may be a little bit early? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Yes skilak lake can get pretty bad if the wind comes up. the only area I think that would be worth hunt is the upper end above were the Kenai river comes in to the lake. From there all the way to the glacier should be a a better area to focus on. Also it would also be a little safer if the wind came up, as the wind has less water to push. Also there is an area that is no hunt its the skilak lake loop, your FIL should know about it and its show on the ADF&G website for unit 15A.
Hunting mills creek could also be a good alternate, but it will be dependent on how fast the snow melts this spring on your ability's to get in there.

OP
L

LCoult

FNG
I appreciate it, I’ve heard some people say 7 is better than 15. We were also interested in Russian and Bear mountain as I’ve heard people say they’ve seen a lot of bear around up there just a booger to get to. As far as snow melt, on a pretty average year is mid may a good time to go up there? Or would later be better?

I am not really sure on the snow melt and timing. Ya most of 15 is flat land expect for west side of cooper landing and south side of homer across the back.

I was a river guide on the upper kenai in the early 90's. skilak or kenai lake is no joke when the winds come up.
Cold air settles and it settles down the glacier and accross the lake.
I have take some scary rides accross the lake, not for the faint of heart. i kissed the boat ramp one time.

AK_Chuck

FNG
Theres definitely bears around Skilak, both black and brown. Echoing everyone elses comments about the lake though- I once packrafted the canyon with a friend and spent the weekend chasing ducks along the SE side of the lake. Paddling back towards the trail and the takeout the wind picked up and waves immediately formed. That part of the lake has a cliff face for the shoreline and it got sketch not having any place to pull over.

Another thing to consider is the leftovers from the 2019 fire. Lots of fresh growth that I thought would attract bears, but dont plan on walking through any of the areas they clear cut as a fire barrier. Trees stacked on top of trees and I thought I was going to break an ankle if I had to pack anything out.

Best of luck!

Catchfish

WKR
Yeah just have in mind that the wind will probably come off the glacier. It won’t have as much fetch but that’s where it develops often. What kind of boat do you guys have available?