Kenetrek 7” vs 10”

AOW1

FNG
Thinking about buying the Kenetrek Mountain Hunter Extreme Non Insulated for archery elk; I have purchased almost every boot imaginable, and they were all a bit too narrow in the toe box except for Meindls Perfekts which are no longer available. I just tried on a pair of the Kenetreks in 13 wide and was pleasantly suprised at how well they fit. My question is, Iv'e always worn a shorter boot and the Mountain Hunter Extreme is 10" - they also make the Hardscrable which, according to Kenetrek, is the exact same boot just at 7". So, my question is, is there a functional reason to go with a 10" or a 7" boot and why or is it really just personal preference? Thanks in advance.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Personally I prefer a 7" to 10" especially for archery season. With 10" I always feel like I'm wearing ski boots.......stiffer, heavier, more bulky, and hotter.

AOW

FNG
Yeah, you've pretty much summed up the reason I've always gone with a shorter boot. Thanks for your response!

Go check out Meindl USA. I have a pair of Meindl Perfekt hikers that are 7”. They don’t call them that anymore but they still have them but under a different name.

Just looked and they are called the Bergell MFS hikers. 7” tall. The old Perfekt hunters are now called the Vakuum hunters. The Himalayas look like a nice boot as well but are stiffer. The new Eurolite boots looked good too but I think are 9”.

Last edited:
I generally have more heel slip in shorter boots.

The hardscrabble tore my heels up instantly compared to the ME
Same with zamberlan the 960 and 980 are the same except height. But the 760s just tore my heels up way easier.

L.M._Rog

FNG
I have both Hard Scrabble and Mtn Extreme. The HS feels lighter at the end of the day but both are great boots, I have significantly more miles in the Mtn Extreme but the Hard Scrabble is becoming my favorite. I wear 13 wide so understand the the need for wide toe box that some of the other fine boot manufacturers are just a bit narrow for me. You can’t go wrong with either boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have ran Hanwag Alaskas 8” for a the last hand full of years. Had the Mtn Extreme 400g prior. Im going to go back to Kentrek and get the HS. Love the shorter boots. With the construction of the KT you really can adjust the width like no other boot out there. Im 43 and have found my feet are getting wider with age. I run the Kenetrek fire-boot 10” at work and it’s a great boot but I really like a shorter boot. I feel that I loose a lot of dexterity in my legs and feel my knees get a lot more stress on them with a taller boot. I do not have ankle issues. I do lots of heavy hikes in low top running shoes really help me feel confident not having a tall boot in the woods.

Whip

WKR
I have had the Mountain Extremes for the past 5 years or so and love them. But just recently bought the Hardscrable in 13W to replace a pair of Corries. I just prefer an all leather boot and will sell the Corries if the Hardscrables work out the way I'm hoping. I haven't even gotten them broke in yet but my initial impression is good and I think they will end up being the ones I wear the most.

I could see where the Extremes might still be my go to in steeper terrain because I think taller boots provide a bit more ankle support for side hilling.

I love the Kenetrek boots. They take longer than most to break in, but are the best I've found for my feet.

bduke7645

FNG
I would definitely suggest the 7” the 10” is way to tall in my opinion and can be kind of uncomfortable being that tall

IDLassie

Lil-Rokslider
Other half has both and he says the hardscrabble does not feel or act like the Mountain hunter extreme. They are stiffer and doesn't grip the rocks like the ME.
Also if you have bad ankles you really need the 10" height for the support. I know because I have bad ankles.

Jakerex

WKR
Most significant difference besides fit and feel is stream crossing. Assuming you’re using gaiters, both will get the same done in all weather. Taller boots you can cross deeper streams….gaiters won’t help much there.

I personally like shorter boots. Might be my ankle and calf shape or something, but when I lace up a taller boot it pulls my heel forward, creating heel slip, even in boots that are sized correctly. But that’s me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got a pair of 10” insulated my dad gave me after he won them at a RMEF banquet. I’ve only worn them a few times after the break in and they’ve just felt a little too tall and uncomfortable. I’ll wear them in deeper snow but I keep going back to my Under Armours.