Knife sharpeners

Arkansas stone and a strop with some jewelers rouge is tough to beat, but relatively steep learning curve and time consuming.

The Worksharp field sharpener is easy to use and plenty effective. It's what I pack for touch-ups between elk. It might take some extra effort the first time if you're going to condition your bevel to match the 20 deg. guides, but after that it's pretty quick and effective.

With all the new fancy steels out there, I probably wouldn't get an Arkansas stone. They sometimes don't remove metal fast enough. Also, you need to oil them. They are great for the right uses, but I'd get a modern diamond stone and a strop for a beginner. Just less to figure out.

Also, I don't think the rouge is really necessary. It's so fine and a huge jump from a typical stone that you really don't get the benefit without lots of work. Now if you are going to get silly sharp Japanese cutlery sharp..... work your way through 6000 grit wet stones.... then maybe the rouge will be in your ball park.

Knowing your factory blade angle helps a lot. If you know that you can cut a small couple inch wedge with a chop saw at desired angle and use that as a guide with a flat stone. This is a great way to learn how to use a flat stone and not rely on a jig or anything fancy. If you don't like that idea and still know your angle then a lower end Lansky clamp system is pretty idiot proof , cheap , and works allowing multiple angle options. The Sharpmaker is pretty simple as well but only has 20 and 15 degree options. If you don't know the blade angle IMO it can be ALOT of work.

Can anyone recommend one they’ve had good experiences with? Mainly for everyday and hunting knives. Price point is about $50. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knowing your factory blade angle helps a lot. If you know that you can cut a small couple inch wedge with a chop saw at desired angle and use that as a guide with a flat stone. This is a great way to learn how to use a flat stone and not rely on a jig or anything fancy. If you don't like that idea and still know your angle then a lower end Lansky clamp system is pretty idiot proof , cheap , and works allowing multiple angle options. The Sharpmaker is pretty simple as well but only has 20 and 15 degree options. If you don't know the blade angle IMO it can be ALOT of work.

I'm not even sure you can count on that if you did "know" what it was supposed to be. It's not unusual for a knife to be sharpened at the factory by a person using a belt and no guide. They get close, but it ain't always consistent.
Look here at about 2:50

I'm not even sure you can count on that if you did "know" what it was supposed to be. It's not unusual for a knife to be sharpened at the factory by a person using a belt and no guide. They get close, but it ain't always consistent.
Look here at about 2:50
Thats great . A problem identifier. I'm no expert BUT my posted advice has helped me ALOT over the years and following this has aided in having hair shaving knives and broadheads. Just my experience.

Thats great . A problem identifier. I'm no expert BUT my posted advice has helped me ALOT over the years and following this has aided in having hair shaving knives and broadheads. Just my experience.

No need to get bent out of shape. I was trying to help someone avoid a pitfall. I've chased the wrong angle thinking that I knew what the angle was. It was a bit frustrating trying to learn freehand and taking forever to get there. This was before I tried the microscope and DMT kit I mentioned earlier.

The solution is to adjust to the actual angle or reprofile the blade. It's not a big deal.

Work sharp sharpeners
o.png

Holy crap this one blew up. Once I can sit down and dissect this info thoroughly I will proceed. I appreciate the advice everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back